Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I hope I spell everything right and word everything correctly because the eyes of Bob are watching my every word. With that out of the way now to my question.

My son and I are getting to the end of out clean up of a 68 pro-street with a 420 something under the hood. I am looking for new rubber and some other items (list below)
Where would be the best place to buy the parts. I have looked on the net and found many places to buy but know nothing about most of them. Any help would be great

Here is the shopping list:

Ford 428(9) SCJ

Carb
Holley 750 to 850
double pumper with manual choke and mechanical secondary

MSD
Distributor mechanical advance and cap for HEI type (pins) wire (have new wires that is why)
Control Box with rev-limiter 6LS(?)
Coil with mount

Tires
31X14-15 for the rear
P205 70 R15

Thanks all
Stu

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Are you looking to buy a big block 428 or 429 engine as a starting point? I like FE's, but in a case like this I would go straight to a 460.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you looking to buy a big block 428 or 429 engine as a starting point? I like FE's, but in a case like this I would go straight to a 460.
No have the motor but never bought slicks before and the pricing is all over the place. Same can be said for the MSD and carb. The speed shop I was working with is closed and the Summit, Jegs don't come close to some of the prices I found on other sites. Would hate to order from some fly by night place. So I though I would ask here. No big deal will just pick one and hope for the best. Wish me luck, almost 2K worth.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
(Placing thread and Stu on ignore...) :buck:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(Placing thread and Stu on ignore...) :buck:
Bob must have been on vacation
If he was at work he would have replied sooner
Let's have some fun if Bobby not watching

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Like an accident on the highway, he will have to LQQK, point, and make comments as he drives by. LOL

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Check this guy out for the carb. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUIC...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b4174d87 Just email him through feebay. Great guy by the name of Phil. He doesn't list a choke carb on there now, but he does carry them, I saw them when I got mine from him. You cannot beat the price, plus he sets the carb up for your application. Not sure if you can get manual choke from QFT, but they do have electric and no choke. I have the one with no choke and have no issues starting the car cold.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check this guy out for the carb. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/QUIC...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b4174d87 Just email him through feebay. Great guy by the name of Phil. He doesn't list a choke carb on there now, but he does carry them, I saw them when I got mine from him. You cannot beat the price, plus he sets the carb up for your application. Not sure if you can get manual choke from QFT, but they do have electric and no choke. I have the one with no choke and have no issues starting the car cold.
Cool will check it out
Now just need where to buy the slicks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts