Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a detroit locker instead of a spool but they're so darned expensive. Where have you found the best price on the locker?

Thanks,

RayJ
70 XR&

·
11,000 Posts
Best price I have found is from Summit for a new one, about $400.

Many Nascar teams only use them for one race or even one practice session and sell them for around $250 afterwards. Some friends of mine swear by the used ones and don't seem to have any problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Royce,

Kinda dumb on this subject...but, is this the only (best) way to turn your differential into a posi?

Chris

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ray,

Believe it or not if your not too against it I would look to buy one off of EBAY. I have bought many many items off that site and have been pleased so far. If your anything like me and your always looking to save a few dollars than its definitely worth looking in to. I have never seen a new locker for less than $400. As for a locker being the only way to lock your wheels, the next best thing is a Ford Traction Lock differential. They use clutches and springs to positively lock your rear tires together. I currently run one in my Cougar and it runs mid 7's in the 1/8 mile. I highly recommend them for street driving. You can get then for $200 or less pretty regular.

Kirk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try the link and see what they have! Thanks!

Royce - How do I buy them from NASCAR?

RayJ

·
11,000 Posts
Not from Nascar, from one of the teams. I have seen a website for Jack Roush's used parts but don't know the url. They had every sort of rear end part on there from cases to gears, all used in one practice or one race and at about half retail price. Any one know the net address?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Royce,

The only problem is that the NASCAR teams seem to all use 31-spline axles, and almost all of our Cats are 28s. 28 spline lockers are a bit harder to find! I got mine (28 spline) off eBay, with only 50 miles on it, for substantially less than the MSRP.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Mine is powertrax performance locker, and you get two types of springs, "drag" and "Street". I have installed the streetspings, and they give only a silence click in curbes, but lock immidiatly when i floor it. I guess if you use dragsprings, it will be allot of difficult to cruise. They told me that detroit lockers make allot of noise...

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
428cj said:
Mine is powertrax performance locker. They told me that detroit lockers make allot of noise...
LOL!
Of course they did.... If you woulda called Tractech (Detroit Locker) they woulda said the same about the powertracks thingy...:lolani:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, Thanks for all the input. I did purchase a Detroit Locker from ring-pinion.com I think I got a fairly decent price. I'll let you know how it hooks up after I put the stroker kit in.

RayJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts