Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's, Can anybody give any info. on dropping the front of our cars without cutting or doing the heating thing on the coils. I lowered a 72 Comet GT by cutting the coils and it worked out fairly decent. But for my Cougar, I'm wanting to do it right without butchering this time. I've seen and heard about Coils for Mustangs that would give about an INCH drop, that would be all I am looking for. My first Question is: Is our cars front end stuff interchange with Mustangs of the same year? and has anybody used them if so how did it go? Any info. would greatly be appreciated. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
the 69 Mustang and Cougar front suspension & steering are the same. So 1" drop coils for a 69 Mustang will do the same for your Cougar.
If you are into handling, lowering the upper control arms 1" as Carroll Shelby did will result in better handling and about 1.5" drop on the front. There is an excellent article detailing this mod and a template at http://www.thecarsource.com/shelby/restore/lowering.html

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
also www.themustangshop.com in there how to link has a downloadable template (pdf) you can print out and make a transfer. I did it to my Fairlane and Cougar and it rocks. Dont cut 1 complete coil WITH doing the shelby drop, it will lower to much, and have bottoming out problems, so 1/4 coil at a time until desidered ride height. :)

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts