Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm lookin to get some new lights for my cat. but i dunno what ones to go with. like the one's i have are the sort of orange-ish color lights that light up maybe 10 feet in front of me. like its sad when i'm on the freeway the little reflector things only light up a few feet in front of me, and i got in my dad's new truck and turned on the regular headlights and the whole freeway was lit up. so yea i'm lookin for maybe a white light headlights, but i dunno what kind i should get. anyone have any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've always had good luck with the Sylvania "Xtra Vision" headlights...nice and bright. Really, it just sounds like your sealed-beams are getting old, they do show their age. Try replacing them with a decent set of halogens, you should be ok.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Cougar King: Switching to Halogen lights will make a big difference, but make sure that you upgrade your wiring as well. The old wiring and switch will not handle the added current draw of the halogens, resulting in a tripped Headlight circuit breaker or worse - a melted down harness.
Changing over is easy, add a couple of relays to your light circuit so that the headlight switch and wiring trip the relays, then wire the headlights to the battery through the relay.
It's less than $20 and very easy to do - and well worth it if it keeps you out of the dark. :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i got Xenons on my car. they work ok. its a different kind of light though so it took some getting used to. heres a pic that tries to show the difference in the lows and highs.. ( highs are stock )

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet thanks guys, yea well i'll prob go to kragen today and see what they have since my grandpa got me a gift card there, so see what i can get :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats good to know, thx. but i think i'd rather go on the safe side and just rewire.... now if i only knew how :p lol i'll figure it out someday ;)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you have a wiring diagram it's easier to ID the right wires, but in a nutshell:
* Get 2 20A relays from Radio Shack
* Find the wire that feeds your low beams (best to do this up near radiator support)
* Cut wire and attach end from light switch to relay on the triggering post.
* run a ground wire from the relay for the trigger
* Run a hot lead from your battery (with 20-30A inline fuse or breaker) to one side of the relay switch.
* Connect the lead that you cut coming from the headlights to the other side of the relay's switch.
* Repeat using second relay on the high beam wire.

This way your light switch is only triggering the relay, not the entire headlight circuit. The hot lead from your battery supplies the power. The short length of original wire to the headlight can handle the load.

This is a really basic, simple description (not using tech terms) but you see what we're trying to accomplish here, right? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts