Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next project is headers. Christmas is coming and headers has got to be on my list some where this year. You guy's with 351W's and power steering and FMX auto. What have ya'll found to be the best fitting, flowing and the most durable Headers for our cars. I've even considered Tri-Y's and the shorty's if they would work. Give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
Jimmy

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have Hedmans on my car... they fit great.. and so far i have no durability issues with them. then again im in southern Cali and theyve been on for like a year. one word of advice though....... do NOT get the power steering drop bracket.... it will cause more problems than it will solve. i had one and the extra length of it put more leverage on the frame where it attached. as a result one day on going down he road and about to make a turn when KKAACKK!!.. then no more power steering. the extra leverage of the bracket bent the bracket itself and broke the bolts that were holding it into the frame. thus dropping one end of the power steering ram cylinder onto the ground where it bent and sheared off one end of it. no i wasnt happy but oh well. stock bracket is back on ( had to be welded thanks to the mess the drop bracket made ) and its fine now. and yes, the steering stuff will clear without it on there.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I bought FPA headers, expensive, $400, but the quality and workmanship are great! I put a set on a Boss 302 car too. fits great. The Windsor one went in from the top on the pass side, thats how well these are made.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cougar Bill, what is FPA?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have Hooker Comp Long Tubes. They fit well. I had my parts guy call Hooker for the application.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm using the Headman shortys, in my case I think they're the ****. They fit perfect, easy to install, clear the power steering and don't don't burn plug wires.
Mark

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a '68, but I agree with Steve's comment about the bracket. If you install it, don't just rely on the little bolt! Have someone competent in welding structural pieces weld your bracket to the frame. My "long" piece from Hooker didn't bend, but it tore right through the frame rail in about two weeks, resulting in a bent ram and eventually a melted pump/compressor after the ram sat at full extension but still putting load on the pump. After I shut the engine off, I saw what happened, tried to restart the car to get the car home, the brand-new starter couldn't even turn it over, I had to cut the belt (standing on the side of the highway...)
Grrrrrrr moral is, if you can get away with it, don't use the drop bracket; if you must use it weld it together carefully and strongly!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I checked on the Hedman website and they indicate that the hedders fit C4 A/T only. When I asked about FMX, they failed to respond. I thought it was strange since the 351W came stock w/FMX A/T's.

I checked w/Holley's Flowtech headers and their tech people stated that the FMX will clear w/their headers. Their ceramic headers are $199. I plan on also going with a 2.5" exhaust system w/X-pipe. BTW, is 2.5" system the right size for a street machine or should I go up to a 3"?

I'm glad to hear that the long tube headers fit without the P/S bracket and around the FMX A/T. This gives me another potential source. Anyone out there tried the Holley Flowtech headers w/X-pipe?

I Currently have my entire front end out of the vehicle (fm steering wheel out to tires. I'm incorporating the Shelby alteration of the upper control arm (lower by 1") to provide for greater negative camber. I'm also replacing all the steering links, P/S ram and C/V, and the steering box (while I'm at it). I figure that this is a good time to do the headers since the stock exhaust is rusted and I pulled it (and the manifolds) to get to the steering box.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Keep the exhaust dia. in the 2.5" range, it'll help keep the powerband range a little lower (i.e. usable). If you had a big-block, 3" might be more the ticket.

I've got Hooker Super Comp full lengths on mine. Interesting slip fit joints all over the place! It's neat when you're changing header gaskets, and the header tubes start coming apart in your hands...kinda scary the first time it happens. :confused:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Thanks on piping size

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but I've seen a number of 3" exhausts on 351W's. It seemed a bit large unless you're flowing lots of spent exhaust, race regularly, or have bored/stroked the 351W to ~408.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Hedman's Response to Header info

Hi Guys,

It's interesting that some of you have deployed hedman hedders on your 351W/FMX vehicles. This is Hedman's response to my inquiry.

-----Original Message-----
From: sales department Hedman Hedders [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 9:38 AM
To: Jeff Goldman
Subject: Re: Question on Headers for 69 Cougar

Sorry, we don't offer hedders for your application.
Thank you for your interest in Hedman products.

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 3:55 PM
Subject: Question on Headers for 69 Cougar

Hello,

I have a question regarding your street headers #88300 for a 69 Cougar
w/351W, FMX transmission, PS, & Factory A/C. I noticed that the
footnote #108 states that the headers fit a C4 transmission only. If
this is the case, then do you carry a set that fits a Cougar w/FMX?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If it'll fit a C4, it'll fit an FMX, they're damn near the same size...

I ran Hooker Comp's on my 69 Windsor/Fmx car and they worked awesome and did NOT require a power steering drop bracket either.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Sorry, we don't offer hedders for your application.
Thank you for your interest in Hedman products.
That seems to be their standard reply. Anytime I've emailed them for info I get that message.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Another way to look at it

That's one way to not accept responsibility for your product - tell everyone that nothing fits.

Their motto should be, "we don't need no stinking money!"

By the way, I already sent them a link to this thread. I don't think they'll look, but who knows.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate the response guy's. Sounds like I have options between the Hedman's and the Hooker Comps.. I like the price on the hedmans best, but I'll probably go with the Hooker Comps.. I had them on a Comet GT before and they worked good. The only problem was getting a wrench on the bolts to tighten them, but I always had that problem with small block Fords. Worth it though. I'll walk before I drive the other.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well, you can always "dimple" the header tubes a little bit for extra clearance....

Or, you can get them nifty header bolts that have a shrunken 3/8" head on 'em...I've found them to be handy as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts