Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been looking at some filler primers. Anyone suggest one over the other. I don't want to go with the spray can route even though it seems readily available. I'm painting a black car so I would like to have the car be completely perfect.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
It's smartest to pick the manufacturer you inted to go with for the actual paint and then use their filler primer. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, and I have broken several when I painted my car. But if you stick with a "system" you have less chance of having a problem down the road. And if you do have a problem, you won't have one manufacturer blaming another if there is a compatability problem.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Most of the modern ones are pretty good nowadays and don't shrink. the key is to use them correctly.....follow the manufacturer guidelines and you will be good to go.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
It's smartest to pick the manufacturer you inted to go with for the actual paint and then use their filler primer. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, and I have broken several when I painted my car. But if you stick with a "system" you have less chance of having a problem down the road. And if you do have a problem, you won't have one manufacturer blaming another if there is a compatability problem.
yup what he said. Makes no sense to use expensive stuff on top of "other" primer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a big fan of the ppg line but it's all personal preference. Using different primers and topcoats usually works fine but like everyone else said I'd stay with the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts