Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys what do you think is best electronic ignition/distributor for 351 w? I have msd on 70 elim w 351 c . anybody have any thoughts? geoff

·
Registered
53 Posts
If the motor is stock, I like the factory elctronic ignition, Distributor, and brain box. Check the cam gear on the distributor, you may have to switch it, depending on the cam application. It's a great starting point, and very economical for a relativly stock motor.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I always thought MSD was the best

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Another vote for MSD...

·
Registered
168 Posts
msd here also. I really like the 6a series had very good look with them and if you need a rev limiter gett the 6al.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I'll join the group on this one... I have the 6AL and have had good luck with it as well. Just don't try to wire an Accel coil to it because it's a real pain. Stick with all the same brand if you can.

Mark

·
Registered
648 Posts
All MSD components on 68 KAT. (The P.O. did do something right!) 6AL with coil and distributor. I'm really happy with the ignition...now if I can get rid of the WOT stumble I'll be really happy :)

Ken

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mallory Unilite Opto-Electronic Distributor and a MSD 2 Coil are treating me real well right now.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'v had good luck with the malory unilite. Pertronix has a multi spark box now but dont know much about it, i might get one????

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I had two Mallory Unilites both brains died.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I havn't seen anybody post anything on petronics...... hmmmm cause I'm putting that into the redcat.... did I mess up again??? LOL

Don

·
11,000 Posts
I had two Mallory units cause me to walk long distances late at night. Have had no problems with Pertronix units. I think most street driven cars would best be served by a Pertronix conversion of a stock distributor. It's a great deal for less than $100.

Crane has a similarly priced conversion that also includes a built in rev limiter. I have not heard any first hand reports yet.

MSD makes awesome products, they are overkill for a street application. But if you are building an expensive motor there is no better protection than an MSD 6AL and MSD distributor to trigger it. I have an MSD 6AL on the green GTE triggered by a stock distributor with Pertronix conversion. If the MSD fouls up I can unplug it and still drive home, the Pertronix will work without it. If the Pertronix fouls up I can install the stock points and condenser that are in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KEN did you buy it all at oncs or in parts. my 69elim 351 w stock dist , shorted out, and i will have to get dist first. thanks to all your help, and responses. geoff

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hey Don, I don't think there's anything wrong with the pertronix, meownself...

I had that before I did my rebuild and it did me just fine for several years (and then I resold it on Ebay and pretty much got half the money back for it *LOL*)

When I did my rebuilt though, I was just looking for more red and brushed aluminum for my engine compartment...so MSD it was/is!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Geoff, while you're waiting for Ken, Rktmn, to answer, I bought all my MSD components at the same time: 6AL Box, Blaster 2 coil and Billet Distributor. Installation was a snap.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Don,
I went w/ Petronix on my new engine, I was just saying MSD is supposed to be the best out of everyone else. Just not the look I want for my car.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AlphaCat is using a stock 351M/400/429/460 Ford Duraspark electronic ignition distributor, but I'm only using it to get the ingition impulse signal that will trigger the MSD-6AL. If you go this route, you do not need the factory Duraspark ignition module. It is really a very simple installation. I haven't decided on a coil yet.

All of my other Cats, along with the wife's 70 Mach either already have (or will have before they're driven) a Pertronix conversion, still using the factory coil.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Like a lot of other folks, I like the msd stuff. Can't deny the mass appeal and function.
I like pertronix for a street car that sees occasional race duty.
I have heard good things about the Holley ignition too. Been seeing more and more cars at the strip and road course with holley parts. I'm getting curious and will probably try a setup with pertronix in a stock distributor and a Holley setup for the Boss 302 I'm building.
The stock ford duraspark does pretty ok too. I used it for the first couple of years I ran my car at the strip and road course. It's simple to install and service anywhere. But when I changed my cleveland to duraspark from points, I had to swap the advance dashpot because it interfered with the a/c bracket and wouldn't time right.
nice thread to start!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts