Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best book i can get to teach me what i need to know to do a rebuild? i got some great advice from you guys about what to do during the rebuild, now i just need help on how... thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
What're you rebuilding? I'd suggest one of Tom Monroe's "How To Rebuild......" books right off. There are three that I know of, one on small blcoks, one on big blocks, and then there's also one that covers the 351C, 400, 429 and 460 engines. Pick your engine flavor and get the one that'll benefit you accordingly. Also, Pat Ganahl's book titled "Ford Performance" is a good one to start with. And, George Reid's book "High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange" is useful and will give you some nice facts about Ford engine parts, codes, interchangeablility, etc.

Good luck!

Lab Rat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a 289... sorry for leaving that out...

·
Registered
78 Posts
skrappy said:
its a 289... sorry for leaving that out...
Well, I that case I'd start with Tom Monroe's book, "How To Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines". It's a good little book with the how-to basics in it. I found it to be especially handy for engine disassembly. It pretty much covers a stock rebuild though, which is it's limiting flaw. But it's still a good book to have around.
I'm rebuilding a 289 myself at the moment, though it's going REALLY slowly these days - too much work and too much cold weather. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Good luck!

Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts