Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 50 mile test drive after installing my new strut rods............For years I have been trying to shake the cobwebs out of my steering, bushing here, idler arm there, alignment, alignment, alignment. Nothing would keep my ride from tracking every rut in the road. A few weeks back Bad69cat submitted a response to post regarding suspension upgrades with reference to Open Tracker Racing Products,....as I browsed through their parts...drooling, I came across adjustable strut rods..AHH-AHHH Angels singing! Now you may be thinking....they have putting adjustable strut rods in FLM products for years. Well for a more precise description, these are; solid mount, articulating strut rods. So, as the times demand.....I started my quest for a better price, when I stumbled across these: http://www.rosehillperformanceparts.com/Products_Page.htm#Adjustable Strut Rods 68SR strut rods.JPG

The pic does not do these parts justice,...clean welds and a nice powder coat finish.

So, what have I experienced after their install and test drive?
Straighter stopping, more level turning, less over-correction on sharp curves and a solid feel for the road,..more hands-on control. And what I did not experience is a rougher/clunky ride for the elimination of the strut rod bushings. Now I can tell, that my steering box needs a little adjustment. $261.00 to my door FedEx

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is it possible for a picture of how they look on your cat? Thanks! Glad you have made progress!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible for a picture of how they look on your cat? Thanks! Glad you have made progress!!
Could only get small segments with my big Nikon under the car,...nothing glamorous to post.......I need a garage lift! No really.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I need a lift too, I know how that feels. POOPY!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I agree!!! I installed a pair of Global West adjustable strut rods and installed a .25" stack of '65/'66 Mustang alignment shims between the FWD bolt of the upper control arm and the shock tower to gain about 1 deg of positive caster and now my Cougar rides like its on rails. The adjustable strut rods allow for more FWD/AFT adjustment than the stockers and are able to pull the lower control arm FWD enough to center the wheel in the wheel well after installing the shims noted above.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Question... I've got the Street or track adj. arms. I did not have my original arms to measure. What is a good starting measurement? I've got a 68 By the way.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Question... I've got the Street or track adj. arms. I did not have my original arms to measure. What is a good starting measurement? I've got a 68 By the way.
I installed mine as short as possible for maximum positive castor. That gave me about +2.0 degrees. I had the alignment guys add some shims to the front bolt of my upper control arms to increase it to +2.5 degrees.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the vehicle from its side.......A good start is an imaginary line running vertically through the upper and lower ball joint, adjusted to this point is 0 degrees caster. As you tighten the strut it will pull the lower control forward,..increasing positive caster.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A lot of caster alignment depends on what your doing with the car...stock driver, spirited weekender, or track car...ride height, power or manual steering? Generally speaking, the more positive caster you have the more stable at higher speeds, and harder to turn when your going slow..and vice versa. But great buy from Rosehill, got those on my 66 Mustang...very nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts