Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving back to the KC, KS area in about 5 months and I've saved the funds ($2k dollars) to get one major job done to the cougar before shipping it out. I have a 69 base cougar with a 351w engine and I need some sage advice as to what would be the best choice and why you'd do it if it were your car.

My choices are; 1. get a locking rear end with 3:55 or 3:73 gears, 2. get power disc brakes put on the rear and 3. fix my trans leak, overheating problem and tune the carburetor. I'm leaning towards getting the locking rear end and new gears done since I have a guy here who knows exactly what needs to be done and I trust him. Thanks for the help, Martin.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Definitely number 3. Rear disc brakes will make a minimal difference in driveability and the rear gears, while fun, should be far behind getting it running properly. Fix your leaks, tune your carb and fix the cooling system before you tax it even more with higher RPM's.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Definitely number 3. Rear disc brakes will make a minimal difference in driveability and the rear gears, while fun, should be far behind getting it running properly. Fix your leaks, tune your carb and fix the cooling system before you tax it even more with higher RPM's.
x2

Ten Characters

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
For 2K you should be able to do all these things. I have seen center sections on ebay already setup and ready to bolt in for under a grand. If you do the brake converstion that the guy offers on here, you can get that for under 500.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would have to agree with the 2 above, but I know it would be very tempting to get the gears and posi unit.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I agree $2K should take care of it all, But #3 should be done first !

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree $2K should take care of it all, But #3 should be done first !
If I could do the work myself $2k might be enough but I have to take the car to a mechanic, my last job (electronic ignition & aluminum head install) had over $600 dollars in labor alone. For this job I'm getting #'s one and three done. I'll buy my own parts and have them put on for about $400 in labor. Finally some good news; my overheating problem was because my radiator cap wasn't put on fully and didn't have a proper seal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts