Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a T5, in un-known condition I bought back in like 06. I'm planning (still) for my 351W stroker build. What would be a better trans first choice, for the built W? I'm planning a 408. I already have a hi rise intake, complete MSD ignition, and 3.89 rear gear.
Are the "astro" T5's enough? TKO a better choice?
What do you think?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the astro van /s-10 trans probably have way too low of first gear and a huge gap going into 5th gear---the 3.89 rear sounds good bur i would try a trans with 2.95 low and somewhere around a .80 o/d maybe a .75o/d---also the early cheyy t-5 have a gm pattern whie the w/c , mustang , nissan t-5 have the ford pattern---the reason i don't like a huge 5th gear split is that a carburated engine needs some rpm to establish a signal to the carb jet circuts to make everything right--dont worry about the electronic speedo stuff--there is a company that converts your electronic rear housing to a mech housing for around $ 125.00 in texas---you need the right tailhousing for shifter location , but most are interchangeable from trans to trans
the net has a bunch of t-5 info if you look for it--b/w made somewhere over 150 different models of t-5 before selling off to tremic---all the late trans (even gm) now have the ford bolt pattern on the front
for example :we are running an 1986 nissan turbo 300zx trans with a late s-10 electronic tailhousing (converted to mech) along with a input shaft / retainer/low gear syncro ring out of a 94/95 w/c trans . it has a 3.35 low (6 cyl car) and a .80 od--car has 3.55rear and 72mph is 2000 rpm--should have done it 10 years ago
doctordesoto

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The T5 is weak sauce for a built 408, imo.
Recall back in the 90's that even with the power being made with the relatively wimpy 5 liter in the somewhat lighter Fox chassis, the T5 was quickly tossed aside for a strong auto, or plowed the path for the stronger Tremecs that became popular like the 3550.
Serious power from the 408 is going to lunch any T5 pattern, even the stronger cases and alloy gearset equipped ones.

If you have the coin, get a Jerico 4 speed and install an overdriven 4th in it. Or, get a TKO and maintain it fastidiously. They're not cheap, but if you want to play you gotta pay.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
For the bucks, I like the old top loaders. But alas the lack of an OD means higher fuel spend.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That is a beefy one but do not go with straight cut gears unless it's race in only! The shaft upgrade is worth. The creator bet you could find a good tremendous cheaper though..... Lotsa moostangs been using them over the years

·
Registered
321 Posts
The TKO 600's are probably the easiest to install plus they're tough. And they're super easy to work on...I agree, Modern Driveline will set you up.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"The creator bet you could find a good tremendous cheaper though....."??
Ya lost me on this one...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buckeye, how do you like the trans? What OD ratio did you get? Do you feel like it is plenty stout for your application?

·
Registered
653 Posts
I will let you know come spring :) as far as how I like it. I bought it from a buddy for 1/2 the cost of new and it had 300 miles on it

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I already have the T-5 and all the hydraulic fixins. I can at least get the car going that way, until the next gooder trans comes along.
My T-5 in my 68 has bent shift forks, I believe, and it is hard to shift 1-2 unless I am on the sweet spot. Fun car though.....I may end up just recycling my own T-5 transmissions whilst I am waiting delivery of TKO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts