Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be changing the beltline weatherstrip on my 67 in the very near future and was wondering if the quality of the weatherstrip varies between vendors. I don't think it should but it doesn't hurt to ask!! Thanks for the :1zhelp: !!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't think there will much difference between the vendors since there may actually only be one, or very few manufacturers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i hate to use the " M " word.........

but is '68 mustang beltline weather stripping the same as '68 cougar?

just wondering because the mustang beltline stripping is about $20.00 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point Crowlector! Does anyone have the part numbers that we can compare?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
The outer and inner door weatherstip are the same but the quarter windows are not. John @ Cascade Classics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thank you for your help john.

how exactly are the strips fastened to the door? are they push in / snap in ?

thanks,

marshall

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Wait a second!

I got a repo set from Larry's Mustang thinking 67-8 Cougar were the same as Mustang and they were no way near the length as a Cougar and the chrome trim was a thin line compared to the 1/4" chrome running along the top of the door panel. Are you sure John? The best price I found was at Mustang's Unlimited (Cougar Division) ha ha.
The Cougar weatherstripping too is different, for example the door is not a 67-8 mustang but a 65-6 No joke! The joys of owning something original huh?

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Oh one more thing,

The rubber snaps in with clips. The fuzzy part, window felts, use staples.
The best thing do NOT use the staples included. They are way too small(short). What I found worked awesome was safety wire and a pair of vice grips just turn the 2 ends together until they wind so tight it breaks nice and clean fold over the little end. You also need to drill a couple of holes as the pre-drilled holes may not be enough. The good thing is they include a diamond-tipped drill :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
I just put mine in

go back a few pages in this forum you will find some help.They are right,you will need a good contact cement.And two putty knives with the sharp corners rounded off.My complete job was about 6 hours.Its a job that takes a lot of self control Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts