Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything above 50 mph and a nice sqeaking or squealing noise, below that no problem, also if you mash the gas it will do it as well. everything looks tightened right and belts are new. could it be a pulley? noticed that the PS pump pulley moved in and out, clicked more like, bearing issue?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Anything above 50 mph and a nice sqeaking or squealing noise, below that no problem, also if you mash the gas it will do it as well. everything looks tightened right and belts are new. could it be a pulley? noticed that the PS pump pulley moved in and out, clicked more like, bearing issue?
Take the power steering belt off and see if it still makes the noise.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
yep - it's slipping a bit on you. V belts can be a PITA and you really have to be diligent about using the correct one and the right amount of tension. Also be sure your driven accesories (PS, A/C, Alt) are in good shape and not causing prob's. Not all belts are created equal either - I stick to Gates or Motorcraft when they have them. But the angle of the V's also plays into how well the belt rides in the grooves of the pulley. get belts that ride evenly with the top of the pulley - belts that stick above the pulley are not making good enough contact. Tension should be taught with a little bit of deflection pushing in the middle the belt. Using belt dressing should not be necessary and really isn't a good idea anyway.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Remove the belts and check them to make sure they are not shiny, start the car with belts off and rub 180 grit sandpaper on the crank pulley and re-install the belt. If the issue persist squeeze a small amount of powdered graphite onto the belt at a pulley and it will stop

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its coming from the alternator pulley. not the belt brand new and tension is good. the alternator is new, but i had to use the old pulley to replace the serpentine one, with the old v belt

·
Registered
653 Posts
well in that case if the alt is new then my bet is on a small misalignment of the pulley use a long straight edge from the crank to the crank. If it is only at higher rpm I am betting it is only off a small amount

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm thinking of they are pressed on? I am surprised you got it off! Or was it keyed on the shaft..?You should be able to eyeball the straight alignment of them...

·
Registered
223 Posts
As others have said check the pulley alignment and make sure the Alt pulley is installed correctly, using the correct spacer followed by the pulley, washer and nut. The nuts can be hard to lighten. I usually give it a quick zap with a 1/2 impact. Pulley alignment should be easy to check just by sighting across the pulleys from either the passenger or drivers side fenders. If the alignment is good, belt tension is correct and the alt pulley is not slipping I have had good success eliminating belt noise using the following method. Applying Comet or similar cleanser to remove glazing from the pulleys and or belts. Just pour a small amount of Comet between the belt(s) and pulley(s) (Easiest done at the crank pulley), then start the car. This may have to be repeated several times. Keep in mind this will make somewhat or a mess though its easy cleanup with water. Also do not get any in the alternator and make sure you have the air cleaner installed before hand.

Other thoughts: From my experience most belts available today are crap. They stretch under load like an SOB. The best brands IMO listed in order of quality are Bando, Mitsuboshi and Dayco. Seems most well known brands like Gates, AC Delco and Motorcraft, Napa etc. have started using who knows what actual manufactures. Some PN's are fine while others are freaking rubber bands. The problematic ones, no matter how tight they are tend to temporally stretch when engine speed is quickly increased such as on quick acceleration or change in accessory loading etc.

My 2 cents
Bill

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Also something I've seen on some new belt finishes is some are shiney and kind of slimey. Had this problem on the wifes car replacing the original AC-Delco belt with a new Dayco. It slipped like crazy and was glazed. Replace it with a new AC-Delco and has been fine. This might all relate to Bills info on belt material used these days. Good info Bill that's good to know. I have also seen on my 68 the cog type V belts don't sit in the pulley groove as well as the oem type V belt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts