Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the searches. Too many to count. No answer found.
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Odd question.</o:p>

1969 351W 2bbl engine.

Are there any differences between a 1969 auto bell housing and a 1969 4-speed bell housing?

Length? Width? Tapers? Bolt holes?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Did the searches. Too many to count. No answer found.
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Odd question.</o:p>

1969 351W 2bbl engine.

Are there any differences between a 1969 auto bell housing and a 1969 4-speed bell housing?

Length? Width? Tapers? Bolt holes?

Thanks!
Auto like in automatic transmission bellhousing? TOTALLY different than a MT bell.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the question.
Totally different, really?

Is the Auto tranny bell housing longer? Wider? Taller? Different taper on top?

Son is trying to fit a 351W into a Nissan 300ZX.
Right now he has an auto tranny bell housing bolted to it.
Trying to make sure it will fit with a standard tranny bell housing.

Can go PM if needed.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
That is the question.
Totally different, really?

Is the Auto tranny bell housing longer? Wider? Taller? Different taper on top?

Son is trying to fit a 351W into a Nissan 300ZX.
Right now he has an auto tranny bell housing bolted to it.
Trying to make sure it will fit with a standard tranny bell housing.

Can go PM if needed.
Okay, I understand your question now. Unfortunately, I do not have comparative measurements to cite. I would think they are similar but that probably doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Food for thought: The factory used both in the same car with the same tunnel and motor mounts. There are *slight* differences but the two interchange into the same space. Starters, flywheels (flexplates) change...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The 69 and 70 351W and the 70 351C used a cast iron bell house for manual shift cars. Basic casting number would be C5T*. The same as used in F series pick up trucks with the big 6 cylinder engines or small block V8s up through 1970. I do not have measurements, but think from the block plane to the face plane of the trans is the same distance(assuming your using one from a FMX). If I have time this evening I'll measure as I have one for both applications.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad69cat - Great info, but not quite what I am looking for.

badcatt - length is not the biggest issue. Width/height/taper info is needed.

Son is dropping a 1969 ford 351W into is 1985 Nissan 300zx.
He is in MO, in the snow and cold and I am currently in WA State.
Replaced the oil pump and oil pan to make it rear sump, to fit in the space.
Fabricated and welded up new motor mount bases from steel plate to hold it.
Has mounts tacked in place and engine setting in the car.
Plan is to use a standard transmission bell housing and t5 tranny.
Space is tight.

Currently he has a 1970 bell housing off of an FMX tranny bolted on the engine. No tranny attached.
He only has about 1/2" to 1" between the bell housing and the tunnel right now.
Ready weld the mount down, but wants to make sure thing will fit.

Trying to find out if the bell housing from a standard (4-spd, 5-spd) tranny is bigger or smaller in size.
Is the taper from block to tranny bigger or smaller? Does the taper start at the same place?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
In Washington state? Where? I have a couple bell housings here/ I'll go look and see what I can tell.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I made some comparisons, First the FMX bell house, it is about 7 inch deep from the engine face to the trans body mounting face, A D1TE(sorry, as close as I have but I think are the same for this measurement) was about 6 1/4. And a C5DA-A was about the same. I don't have a T5 style bell house. But with what I see he should be good.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Badcatt,

In Snohomish (actually just outside there) at the present time. Visiting our son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons.

Talked my boss into letting me cut my work hours down to 30 a week and I am doing the tele-commute thing.
Worked in the office for 17 years. I have over 3 months of sick leave built up.
It is semi-retirement. Wife quit work all together. We are traveling/living in our 42' RV.

Visited kids/grandkids it Utah. Did Yellowstone, Rushmore and Sturgis (off season).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My son went ahead and welded the mounts in solid.
From what we have found, the standard bell housing and tranny he is going to use should fit.
Driveshaft and clutch setup will be interesting.

It is nice to know he has paid attention to what I have showed him. Has a great mind and is creative.
He takes after me....
We don't just go buy a new piece, we fix what we have, if we can.
They don't make that? Okay, we will.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Badcatt,

In Snohomish (actually just outside there) at the present time. Visiting our son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons.

Talked my boss into letting me cut my work hours down to 30 a week and I am doing the tele-commute thing.
Worked in the office for 17 years. I have over 3 months of sick leave built up.
It is semi-retirement. Wife quit work all together. We are traveling/living in our 42' RV.

Visited kids/grandkids it Utah. Did Yellowstone, Rushmore and Sturgis (off season).
Snohomish is only about 45 minutes away from me. I've lived there too. If you have time tomorrow you should come up and see some North west Cougars. I'll PM you contact info. And if you don't have time that s good to.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The T5 housing is much smaller. My main concern would be the mounting of the trans and where the shifter lines up. There are ways to overcome that. If the trans winds up too low it will not line up with the res end and create an angle issue. The FMX bell is an inch deeper. Meaning a T5 will sit closer to the motor than an FMX would. I don't see a problem with that. The T5 is small in comparison to an FMX.

The car you describe will require an adjustable cable for the clutch or a hydraulic clutch actuator. If the throw out bearing arm that sticks out the left drivers side of the bell housing is too long or can not be made to fit then the hydraulic clutch kit will solve that. You can buy one or get one off a modern mustang / import and custom fit it. With the smaller body style of the car I would be worked about the clutch arm hitting the exhaust. There is some to work with but not much. YouTube has some videos on doing a T5 FMX swap that may help. Also, if you are using a T5 they come with many different input shaft lengths. The bell housing you choose will determine the shaft length. Also the 351W will need a pilot bearing installed to accept the trans input shaft. The bearing size will be determined by the year of Windsor and trans input shaft used. Once the motor is installed the bearing is much more difficult to install. If you don't have the trans yet choose one from a 5.0 (302) motor. The V6 versions will not hold up and will have the wrong bell. The flywheel is also different. The 302 flywheel will not work on the 351W. Weight and balancing difference.

Hope that was usable and did not just make it more confusin. You may have already thought of some of that but better to double check.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Anytime you do a non-factory swap you need all the parts there, because something will always bite you. Well, almost always. The only way for him to be sure is to go get a bellhousing. He can probably get in touch with some local racers and buy a grenaded t5 and a busted bellhousing to use for mock ups. Just rip the guts out of the tranny and it'll make it easier to use for making a trans mount, shifter location, etc.

He'll probably still have to take a plasma cutter or death wheel to the floor. But that's life when you frankenstein z-cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts