Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Amazing! I used Turtle Wax "Ice" and got the same results... I wonder how many people are suffering with fogged/scratched up lenses. In a similar type of thing...my dash lights were very dim even with new bulbs and a good cleaning when I took the dash apart, cussed them every night while driving my '70 XR7...turned the knob all the way to the left and it tried to make them brighter, but they never really got what I considered bright enough. A couple of years ago I had bought a new head light switch, and never installed it (because it still worked) although you probably couldn't count the times it had been used over the 40 plus years...so I got around to putting it in a couple of weeks ago, and whatda ya know...nice bright dash lights again. It is the simple things that make you say "WOW"!

Just curious though, what made you try Brasso?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Wow! what a difference. I would have thought the Brasso would have damaged the lense. Sure did a good job.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I swore after being in the Marines that I would never touch Brasso again in my life once I got out...this just proves that it isn't just for brass anymore. I wonder if Brasso knows about your discovery? Still would like to know why you tried it in the first place???

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yeah spent a lot of time using Brasso on my belt buckle for uncle sam!!!! LOL that was many years ago. T-shirts, skinny fat fat skinny, still fold my cloths that way!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! Brasso absolutely knows about "my discovery". On the back of the can it says can be used to remove scratches from acrylic crystal watch lens. (They weren't kidding!) That was all I needed to give it a shot. I bought and tried the Meguairs plastic polish #10 and it didn't work as well as the Brasso did. I polished the first 2 lens twice for 10 minutes each with the Meguairs and only got half of the scratches out. With the Brasso it was 5 to 7 minutes of polishing and got all the scratches out. I had to go back and redo the first 2 lens with Brasso and now they are all perfect.

This did not help on my clock though. The clock lens is so cloudly/smokey that even after polishing I can only see the outside edge of the numbers. It will have to be replaced next time I pull the dash.

·
Registered
389 Posts
mothers metal polish works great on "modern" plastic headlights as well...seems metal polish works on plastic almost better than on metal haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts