·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New brains... MS3X running full sequential, knock sensor, boost control, realtime data logging, the works. So I'll be monitoring fuel pressure drop from tank to rails, AIT at 2 points pre and post intercooler, etc. Cant wait...

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I can't wait to see the videos when you get it all together...
Yeah, me too LOL... So major-ish set back. I started digging around looking for info on my current ancient NOS PTL heads. Apparently the heads were not decked to restore the chamber to the 63-64cc advertised on some of the heads, like mine, that received the 210 CNC program. So the engine has 67cc heads and 16cc slugs .016 in the hole... 8.4:1 comp is not good off boost. LOL! There are some other issues as well, these heads were designed for the 8.2 deck (289/302 and variants) ONLY and do not properly fit my 351W (9.5 deck) or at least the intake and heads are not compatible. See the coolant leak stain coming from the rear water ports on the last pic... thats due to a casting error that allows the 351W water port to overhang the head... and leak coolant...So I had another set of heads delivered from ProMaxx Performance here in the US. The castings are off shore and really nice then they do all the machine work and assembly in TX. Pretty damn nice heads for the $! 60cc ports (1262) @ 180cc no CNC work to the chambers. I will pull them down check the 5 angle valve job, seats, bowl work, match them to my enormous intake LOL and re-assemble with the correct springs/height for the cam and ARP 7/16 studs (they come assembled with 3/8 studs and adjustable guide plates). But as they sit out the box they are VERY nice. I also ordered a fresh 8.2 .040 block for Roadkill so the forged 333 is going back together using the PTL heads and all my extra parts from the Panther's 351W that will fit. So no money "wasted" just another engine in the stable LOL. Just a huge time suck as the engine is ready (was) to sling in... Oh well. So no money "wasted" just another engine in the stable LOL. AND a huge time / $ suck
-PROMAXX-Performance-9175-2020425193022974.jpg -PROMAXX-Performance-9175-2020425193023931.jpg

The following pics show the issue with the PTL heads and how to remedy the issue if using a 351W intake. The 90* corners near the water ports need to be welded up and filled to a ~45 and then the intake side planed flat again... Or do what I did and toss them on a healthy 8.2 block and haul ass.
DSCF0397.JPG

DSCF0399.JPG DSC01390.JPG

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
So anyways... enough complaining.. I also grabbed a New Wilwood system for the front of Panther as well as a CPP mini subframe setup to get rid of the factory lower and strut rods. This will allow me to remove the strut rod mounts facilitating the 3" and 4" plumbing for the turbo and intercooler. Its a pretty sweet setup if you want to keep your shock towers intact. I have heard waaay too many horror stories on the AJE Colt 65 setup so I went this route. Placing the turbo and intercooler outside the engine compartment serves several purposes, one of which is placing the hot down pipe out in a cooler air flow and away from my EFI wiring and fuel lines, as well as keeping the engine compartment sanitary, its a win win for me. 67-70-Ford-Mustang-Cpp-Mini-Subframe-Tubular-Lower.jpg 304915597.jpg I already have the Borgeson P/S box in her, so that really cleans up the underside allowing for less restrictions and bends in the charge tubing. The Wilwoods allow me to retain the front wheels I already have without the need for the 3/8 spacer and will pull my track width in 5/8" on each side to keep from scrubbing the fenders in off camber situations, such as drive ways and RR tracks. She sits Low.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts