Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Sorry I have been so absent. It has been an extremely busy year.

Last summer the strut rod on the cougar snapped while doing 25 (luckily it was only 25 mph! or it could have been a LOT worse). Anyway, we are finally ready to get to repairing the old girl and getting her back on the road. (I'm going into withdraws!!).

I really want a good strut rod, as I do NOT want this to happen again (especially on a freeway or something).

Here is the link to the rods I was told to get by a friend here.

http://www.globalwest.net/67-73-mustang-front-end-individual-components.html
They are the Mustang Adjustable Strut Rod part # ASR-6

Looking to see if anyone has used these or this company and if you all think this is a good direction to go.

Thank you in advance!

Rae

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
global west is a awesome company and make great products, little pricey but great!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Have a set with upper and lower control arms on my 69 stang, really tight.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of bushings were you using on the one that broke? Rubber or poly? I've read here that the poly ones are too stiff. Glad this turned out mostly ok.
I believe they came with poly. I would have to check again. It was pretty scary. Messed up the fender well some as well. We have a whole new shell that everything is going into soon so at least that is a plus.

https://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Adjustable-Strut-Rods-pr-16135.html

This is what I have on my '67. CNC Frame ends and $17 cheaper than GW.
Excellent! Thank you :)

I don't mind paying a good price for good quality. The picture that it shows of the snapped rod is almost an exact of what happened to mine.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked on the bushings and they are old school rubber, not poly. Just an FYI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts