Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A number of years ago, I had the crazy idea to have built a pretty nice '70 351C. Key was to convert the 2-barrel valves to 4-barrel, which was done by Don George in Dayton, OH. Setup was based on a Crane cam 521211 from Summit Racing.

I'm looking for $750 for the pair, and will post pics later tonight. Anyone interested. I've run out of wife tolerance for my 67 Cougar restoration purchases, so need to part this engine. I'm located at 53086. Eric.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
So.... I take it that these were '70 351C-2V heads to start with, correct? All 351C-2V heads were 76cc open chamber with 2.04/1.66 valves. Nothing special there. But if they were reconditioned to have new 4V-size one-piece 2.19/1.71 valves, and bowl-blended properly, you might have a few more buyers....

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No bowl blending, but indeed the heads were machined to accomodate the 4-barrel valves. I might have the list of work done to the heads in the valve springs box I kept.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are pics of the head, intake, block. Any details I should capture? Will snap a few more of the head from above. Has guide plates. Have the roller rockers (monsters compared to my W rollers), hardened pushrods, crank balancer, hi vol water pump, offy single plane, dual point distributor and the shortblock with KB flat-toppers. Parts all came from Summit. She's just sat ever so patiently waiting for me to bring her to life.

Head.jpg Intake and valve cover.jpg block.jpg

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was in the Crane Cams springs box. Work was done about 20 years ago, when I didn't know what saving or family life was all about.

Engine Parts and Work.jpg

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No takers on eBay, so I posted them on racingjunk.com, and have somebody interested. Sure hope they sell, so I can pay for the aluminum trim I'm having restored by Mike at McNichols Anodizing & Plating in MI. For all nine pieces, he quoted me $200 over the phone. I included 5 extras in the shipment - an extra trunk trim, quarter trims and hood trims. $300 for all, so will hopefully be able to sell the extras and pay for the ones I'm keeping. Crossing my fingers they turn out like new (bright dipping/anodizing).

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I had a bite on my racingjunk.com posting, until I received this latest email from the scammer (Max Gilland [email protected]). Ran a search on the blumail.org email domain and sure saw plenty of scammer result threads (my flags in bold below):

Hello

Thanks for the mail,

Am very much interested in buying this item and am okay with details of the item you posted in the ad.i will offer you $900.00 for the item and i will pay you using my paypal account. i have a reliable shipping agent that will pick up the item in your location after i have make payment to you using my paypal account.

I will add the shipping agent fee $500.00 and the item price $900.00 together to the paypal payment,making total of $1,400.00 that i will pay into your paypal but you are to forward the shipping agent fee $500.00 to the shipping agent by western union money transfer to enable the shipping agent meet up with the arrangement regarding pick up of the item in your location after i have make the payment to you

Also you are to send me your physical home address where the shipping agent will pick up the item after i have make the payment.kindly send me your paypal email so that i can make the payment to you asap to avoid delay.

I await your response.

Thanks

My reply? Sorry, but this reeks of a scam. If only there was a way to attach a trojan virus to a jpg...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Definetely a scammer. Amazing how they don't ask the important questions. Never deal with anyone wanting to use Western Union. Know to many people who have been burned.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All the parts came from Summit Racing, with cam being Crane 521211 (.570/.590, .282/.292). Spring-related were all Crane, with the springs being 99886 triple springs. Closed is 120 lbs at 1.860", with open being 360 lbs. Valve stem seals 99826, retainers 99944, locks 99097. What I had written down on the valves were Manley one-piece valves, and they're the 4-barrel size (2.19"/1.71"). Heads were never ported or flowed, just fluxed, cleaned and machined for guide plates, plus new valve guides and 3-angle valve job, with seats machined for the bigger valves. Roller rocker arm ratio for the Cranes is 1.73.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heads sold for $800 shipped. That'll pay for my aluminum trim resto by McNichols in MI plus 455 Olds head exhaust valve seat replacement, plus a few others.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts