Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to install bearings and cam shaft in my 390 last night. How loose, or tight, should the cam be with brand new bearings? I think I might have rolled a bearing during the install, or made one out-of-round somehow. With the "broken in" cam bearings, I could barely turn the cam by hand by pushing on the lobes. I thought they were supposed to spin freely upon installation. any info is greatly appreciated.
bmaker

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a stock cam have "fomoco" stamped somewhere on it? just trying to figure out if I have a hotter than stock cam.
bmaker

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Did you put them in yourself? Did you know that most engines have a specific order to install the cam brgs?? They are different sizes and sounds like you may have one mixed up and squeezed one down. The box of cam brgs usally have instructions as to which # brg goes in which hole.

If you have to remove them, there shot and you need to start again with a new set. You also have to have a special tool to install them or you can get them cocked on instalation. I have the tool you can use or if you bring it down I can put them in for you. No charge. mm

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
That is something I always leave to the machine shop, while the block is getting hot-tanked and bored and honed. it is all very cheap

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey modified, I might have to take you up on that! I did not recieve instructions with the bearings, but have also not read anything in any of my rebuild manuals about the FE's having different size cam bearing housings...I know the rear cam bearing is narrower than the rest though.
I could not find a tool to purchase anywhere up here, so I had one made (retired machinist from church). once I slid the cam in, with some very slight rubber hammer help, and it didn't turn easily, I figured a new set of cam bearings and some proffessional help was in order.
bmaker

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No problem, although I cant remember if I have done a FE or not. Seems like I did a 391 years ago but they shouldnt be a problem. The brgs might be stamped with a # or such.

If you need help it will probably have to be on a sunday as work has been brutal. I even have to miss the Rensselaer car show tomorrow but arrainged to be off early enough to make the cruise. mm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts