Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nor'easter that brought 10" of heavy, wet snow to our area left its mark on BBCat. The Cougar is parked in an enclosed trailer alongside our garage and sits under a cover. But that didn't protect it from a large branch that broke off a nearby tree.

The branch came down, broken end first, and basically speared right through the roof of the trailer, after which it deeply dented in BBCat's roof. The roof is dished right in from the windshield header back about 2/3 and running from side to side. I have pictures that I'll post once I have Internet access again from home (we've been running on generator power since 1:00 AM Sunday morning) or can load them on my office computer. It even ripped the cover apart at the impact point.

So now begins the claim and repair process... (sigh) :cry:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
YIKES Bill!!! Very sorry to hear this. Guess my whining about the lousy weather in NJ on Saturday was nothing really, it could have been much worse. Sorry to hear that you were affected and especially in this way!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a big bummer. Hope your insurance covers you when the car isn't stored in a garage.
We have BBCat on our regular car insurance policy, so that kind of restriction doesn't come into play. But I believe that even the classic car insurance policies will treat an enclosed car trailer as equivalent to a garage.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...But I believe that even the classic car insurance policies will treat an enclosed car trailer as equivalent to a garage.
That was my first thought.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Ooohhh, another catvert in the works...

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Ouch Bill! That sucks for sure. BBcatvert - hmmm has a nice ring to it! ;>) Hope insurance turns out to be non-issue.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Ooohhh, another catvert in the works...
Thereby lending creed to the phrase "From every bad comes some good"? Guess, I am just slow, I didn't even think of that!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That's terrible Bill, I hope it works out for you. I hate insurance company's. I've going around and around with them for 6 mos. now. And it's not even about a claim. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Just thinkin' out loud... GTEvert. Wait, isn't Don Rush making one of those?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Hi Bill, that sure sucks. Is this the same car I was admiring at MU this summer in CT? I still have a 68 with a good roof in my yard if you need one. Its even of a Lime Frost car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We havn't had any bad weather yet in Iowa. Man that picture just makes me sick knowing that when you pull the cover off that it's not going to be good.I hope you have good luck with the insurance end of this bad deal.. best of luck!!!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bill, that sure sucks. Is this the same car I was admiring at MU this summer in CT? I still have a 68 with a good roof in my yard if you need one. Its even of a Lime Frost car.
Scott, yes it's the same car. I may end up needing that roof! I should know within a week or so.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
had to close one eye as I couldn't take looking at that damage all at once. Hope it all works out with your insurance company.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Bill,

Sorry this happened to you. You have to look at it this way, It is repairable, better then a fire. Im sure you will have it back and running by the time the shows are about to start up again, in the summer.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We havn't had any bad weather yet in Iowa. Man that picture just makes me sick knowing that when you pull the cover off that it's not going to be good.I hope you have good luck with the insurance end of this bad deal.. best of luck!!!
For those who might be interested, here are the "naked" pictures of the damage:

Note that, although BBCat has a Dark Ivy Gold interior, it has a lighter headliner and a lighter overhead console to match. Anyone know what color the headliner is so I can be sure to get the correct one?

With respect to the insurance, the adjuster for Liberty Mutual was here earlier today. She turned out to be a nice girl who's father recently restored a '57 Chevy. She based her appraisal on the NADA average retail value of $33K to justify the repair costs and took a copy of the Marti report, pictures of the JCC price page for the vinyl top and headliner, and the information from the WCCC parts catalog for the roof panel. We sat together and called all the shops that would be involved in the repair of both the Cougar and the trailer for estimates and she made it clear that we can contact her as the repairs progress if adjustments to the estimate are needed. She also told me I'll have a check in hand by the end of next week.

Overall, the repair bill is going to be in the range of $6-8K for the Cougar and $3K for the trailer.

<DL id=profile2451 class="postprofile online"><DT></DT></DL>

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow. That really blows. I thought I was the only one to have luck like that. 3 feet in any other direction and you'dve been clear. What are the odds?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts