Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips, diagrams, or pictures of how to relocate the battery to the trunk in a 67/68 cougar? thanks for any help, mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mine is mounted in the passenger side of the trunk. The main cable runs from the solenoid on the passenger shock tower and goes through the firewall behind the passenger front kick panel then under the passenger door sillplate. Then it runs over the mounting bracket for the quarter window then over the rear wheel well. My box is mounted between the gas tank and the trunk drop off. Negative cable is grounded to the trunk floor.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's a good article. Only thing you may want to consider is weather or not you want/need to run it to a disconnect switch rather than direct to the batt. Depending on what you are doing with the car (some racing events require it under certain conditions). If you need any cable let me know, I got plenty left!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
if not using an optima type battery , make sure you vent the system---some marine batterys come with caps that you can vent o'side the trunk
doctordesoto

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i ran mine similar to how black 67 did his. however, mine is different. mine is still running thru the kickpanel and thru the wiring channel by the 1/4 window and over the 1/4 arch. i am relocating my starter solinoid to under the rh hood hinge. 3 reasons. 1 closer to the starter, 2 easier to connect the rear cable to. 3 easier to run wiring, power distribution. in the front i have my cable coming out the firewall just under the heatercore/evap core lines. in the rear, i have 3 holes in the rh drop off. the main power to switch , switch to battery and neg battery to frame. do not forget to run a heavy gauge frame to engine cable up front too!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got the summit kit comes with cables, ends, vent, box, added a cable for the alt and hot wire for fuel pump The shut off completely kills the car and I believe you have to have it marked OFF somehow I think I have that covered. I made a guard out of 4 inch pvc heavy wall to keep any wrenches or screwdrivers off of the hot cutoff posts and the gas tank. I ran the cables along the frame rails and thru the crossmember with grommets to the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
coolgar, i have 2 questions. 1st how come you ran underneath? 2nd how come no covering/convuluted tubing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For no paticular reason. Thats just kinda what I had in mind.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Coolgar,

Might be an optical illusion but it seems like you have a lot of yoke showing on that driveshaft slip joint.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good eye. It could be a little longer. There is a lot more inside the trans that thing is long, it will get me by until I find or have made a better one made. Suposedly a two door explorer aluminum will fit anyone know how long one of those is?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts