Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 cougar 351w.

I've replaced the battery, voltage regulator, and the alternator. The car starts and runs fine, but the battery won't charge. At idle the battery reads about 12.6 volts.

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/charging/images/ford01.gif

According to this diagram, the stator wire is not where it is supposed to be. Instead of going to the stator, it goes to the ignition.

Any reccomendations?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'm not able to open up the pic from here, but the stator wire isn't always used - it's usually used for electric chokes and the like - it doesn't put out much more than 12V and varies some... it doesn't have anything to do with charging. You need to measure the voltage coming off the Batt post on the alt - It should be over 13V if it's working right. If not have the alt tested at the place you got it from.....if it's good then you need to look back at that regulator again.....and the wiring. make sure your grounds are good (alt ground and block to body) We have seen a pretty fair amount of regualtor failures on "new" ones, so don't assume it's good just yet.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I have learned to make a point of having any replacement alternator tested before I take it from the store. I got a bad one once for my old Astro. Not a fun part to remove/replace in that vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was just loose. Could have sworn i had pulled it tight enough, but apparently not.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
;>) Dohhhh - glad it was simple!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts