Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I finally hooked up my license plate light on the 71 XR7. I used a 63 bulb, nice and bright but blew by the time I got home. Also was wondering, when I was putting different lights in, I noticed the lamp only worked when placed against the bumper, kind of like grounding it out. Was wondering if this is normal. So after the 63 bulb blew I put a 97 in, not as bright but does the job. Now only problem is after car sits for few hours. The battery is drained. Is this bumper grounding thing causing this? Is it even suppose to work like that?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also noted, I realized after putting new light in, my voltage gauge reads 16V when driving and drops to 12V when stopped, thought that was weird.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
N0 - you should be hanging in around the 15V point. It's going to go up as you drive and the regulator kicks on ond off it will fluctuate some. Sounds good to me. The light needs to have a good ground in order to work....Most bulbs the base is what is grounded, and the "hot" is the center point in the socket. Some light have 2 leads (one hot/one ground), SOme light have just a hot lead and the gound is what it's connected to in that case.....make sure it's clean and well connected.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its cleaned great. It only works once its bolted onto the bumper. Im not sure if youre familiar with the 71-73 license plate lamp. Wondering if its creating the draining

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I doubt that the license plate light on its own is the draw, as it is only "on" when the headlights or parking lights are on...Trying to find an unknown draw is a PITA.
You might try charging the battery all day, to make sure you have a good charge, and then go out in the wee hours, in total darkness, hook the battery back up, and see if the glove box light is on, or the dome light, anthing that might be more visible at night, than in the day time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A battery with a dead cell will kill it's self sitting. Do you have access to a load tester? Charge the battery, the load test it and see how rapidly it drops in voltage. Your alternator should put out 14.7 volts on average.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Not sure if this will help or not as I don't know if this year even uses a voltage regulator? At times when I had a battery going dead I would charge the battery then drive the car. After about twenty minutes stop and shut the car off. Feel the batter and see if it is hot. If it is hot good chance your voltage regulator is bad. Over charging will kill a battery very quick. If the batter is not hot I would then suspect the altenator. Also charge the battery and then take the charged batter to an Auto Zone or TSC. Either place will load test the battery and tell you if it had a short inside.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thing is when I jump the battery off with a buddys car, all I get it a tick-tick-tick-tick-tick. No start, Like the starters not kicking over. The alternator is new and voltage regulator is to.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Load test the battery, and make sure it is healthy. Then start tracking down the other problems....How old is the starter itself?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Then I would say get it out of the car quick!! Next I would suspect voltage regulator. New doesn't mean correct or good. Sounds like the car is on a constant charge.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, that's not regulating for some reason.....those "new" ones from China are only good for the distance you can throw it!! Get a USA made one from NAPA or Rock Auto

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - well. it does say short circuit on it! I'd say it got a bit toasty...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts