Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my engine and engine compartment this past spring. At a show last weekend I was showing a buddy my engine and noticed corrosion on my new battery tray. Upon futher inspection not only is it on my battery tray but my frame also..... My new battery is leaking, it turns out the guy at NAPA says the battery was being over charged. My question is "will a new voltage regulator fix the problem" I dont want to cook another battery and I dont want to order another battery tray and go though this again. Any help would be great....

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The regulator is usually the cause of this problem, but check the grounds at the regulator and the engine to firewall ground cable too.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Get the solid state version of the voltage regulator. The mechanical version has a record of malfunction. I had the same issue and eventually pulled the VR cover with the proper markings and installed it on a solid state VR so it at least looks correct.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Does the battery get hot after driving it? That is the way we used to determine the voltage regulator was bad.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Get the solid state version of the voltage regulator. The mechanical version has a record of malfunction. I had the same issue and eventually pulled the VR cover with the proper markings and installed it on a solid state VR so it at least looks correct.
I got the electronic version and dressed it as well, never even tried a repro mechanical based on what I have read about them.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Does the electronic version, solid state plug in as the old one?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the help. checked the grounds on the motor to firewall, and the alternator. both were fine. I already had new voltage regulator just didn't install it when i did my engine compartment. I thought it would be cool to paint my old one the color of the car. Turns out that wasn't such a good idea. Well one new battery, new battery tray, new voltage regulator, 6 hours of cleanup time to nutrualize the battery acid on my inner finder and chassis, and repainting, I'm back on the road.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Voltage regulator has to be well grounded also.
An occasional driver car, the points stick in the old style voltage regulator and cook the battery.
I've had good luck with a Motorcraft electronic voltage regulator. Others just as good I'm sure...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts