Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just turned on the tube and BJ Vegas was on, so I got to wondering if any Cougar's were being sold. Went online and searched it, here is what I found (and that is all that I found):

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=322.2&aid=424&pop=0

Kind of sobering. Granted it is yet another E-clone, but looks pretty clean (underhood doesn't look great but still).

What do you guys think about the price of $14,850 with buyers commission? And with buyers commission means the seller is getting even less, right?

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
You never know how much money a person has in his,or her car, for some that would seem about right, for others a little low.
I always try to refrain from pricing other peoples car, except when I am trying to buy it.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Couple of thoughts... BJ only puts on one World Class auction and Vegas is not it. That is all the money for that car, the colors just do not work for Eliminator and those are not original seats. More times than not when you see these cars in person after the auction you say to yourself "Now I see why it brought that".

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Looks like a decent car in a not-so-desireable color combination. The way overdone Eliminator clone without really doing an accurate clone adds nothing to the price and probably actually detracts from it. The high bid seems fair from my vantage point 900 miles away.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Even with it being a clone somebody got a pretty good deal -- to replicate it would cost much more. :(

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that there is no substitute for being there when it comes to auction cars, and in particular the TV auctions. There is just so much that doesn't show on TV and so much that looks funny on TV that is correct seen in person.

The Barrett Jackson Scottsdale event is not an auction as much as it is an event.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So I just turned on the tube and BJ Vegas was on, so I got to wondering if any Cougar's were being sold. Went online and searched it, here is what I found (and that is all that I found):

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=322.2&aid=424&pop=0

Kind of sobering. Granted it is yet another E-clone, but looks pretty clean (underhood doesn't look great but still).

What do you guys think about the price of $14,850 with buyers commission? And with buyers commission means the seller is getting even less, right?

Regards,

Bob

I've purchased cars at Mecum auctions before and the buyer's premium is on top of the purchase price. After adding that premium and state sales tax, I paid about 10% more than the auction price. There is also a seller's premium that varies depending on whether the seller has a reserve price and other factors. I think BJ's buyer's premium is higher, like 8%, but not sure how BJ does their seller's premium. Auctions are a crap shoot.

As for this particular car, I hope my 69 looks that good when I'm done with the Eliminator clone conversion. And if I can take it back to auction and get almost $15k for it, I'll be pretty happy. When I bought a Cougar, my buddies told me they hoped I didn't buy it for the financial investment. I didn't. I bought it because I love these cars and I'm having a blast refurbishing it. Maybe some day they'll get the respect - and dollars - we all feel they deserve.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts