Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, only a street away from me is a 67-68 Cougar, that's about all I know about it. It's been sitting in the current owners second driveway for longer then My family and I have been living near there, (25+ years). I wanted to go and ask about it one day, know the story, etc, and maybe when I have more time (Late Spring to Summer) I want to buy it and restore it. It's been my favorite car ever since I was a kid, that car is the reason I even spent time learning about cars! I'm pretty young, I haven't even gotten my permit yet, but I wanted to know, how does a young kid ask about a car... And not be awkward or creepy? I'll try to post a picture of it, I can only get a pick of the rear end, from their driveway.

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Easy....Ring the door bell, ask if the owner is home, and tell him your story. ' I love the car, and am interested in buying it'...I've done it many times. Many times been told 'not for sale' as well.
If the car is an east coast car, before you pay any money, try and poke a screwdriver through the floor boards!
It helps if you have some "flash" money as well, say a thousand or so. What ever you are willing to pay for the car. But look it over, preferably with the owner before you offer any money!
Ask lots of questions, like, when was the last time it ran, why don't you drive it? If he gives you the 'I'm going to restore it' bit, ask him how many cars he has done, if he has all the tools already, if he will do his own body and paint. That kind of thing.
If it is a 68 Cougar, the VIN is on the passenger side of the dash. If it is a 67, it will be on the drivers side. Visible from outside the car. The 5th digit is the engine code. Early in the alphabet is lower performance. I.E., a "C" code= 289 2V. "R" code,=428 cubic inch. Bigger engine, bigger dollars, running or not. 4 speed trans is a big plus! If you can post pictures on here, we can tell you a lot about the car...Also, if you can get a look at/pictures of the drivers side door tags, post those as well.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd be very leary about buying something that's been sitting in one spot that long - many many problems are highly likely......from rust to rodents! Caveat Emptor!! Unless you have a garge full of tools and a ton of know how you are better off saving your $ and looking for something that's up and running and can be verified to a certain degree. If gutting that thing and having to cut and weld steel panels/cowl/torque boxes in place don't scare you off - then make an offer that reflects the amount of work required and make it as a take it or leave it. To many people with one like that think it's a gold mine when it's got 3 tires in the boneyard!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend who lives near the guy, was skateboarding around and when he saw it he started to look at it. He told me, it's not rusty, and the only rust at all would be the front bumper chrome is gone! I think that's insane. Supposedly the transmission is gone on it, and that's why they let it sit. To me that's a bad reason to let a cat sit. But all that is good for me! I'm going to wait mostly because it's currently <30 degrees outside everyday! But on a warm day! That'll be the day! Lol

Edit: can you post pictures via Phone?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Psycho_Duck13, there is a great classic Cougar club in your area. If you haven't already, check them out at:

http://www.dcconline.org

Lot's of places a Cougar can rust that aren't in plain sight. If your phone is connected to the inter-web you should be able to post pics. If we could see some detailed photos lots of knowledgable people here.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If it is a 68 Cougar, the VIN is on the passenger side of the dash. If it is a 67, it will be on the drivers side. Visible from outside the car.
There is no visible VIN tag on the dash of a 67. It is only on the door data plate and the inner fender stampings.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

1 - 6 of 6 Posts