Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend? go with an assembled edelbrock aluminum head or a bare one? Ive heard bare may be a better way to go. they sometimes require some more machining.. any thoughts?

·
Registered
87 Posts
i got edelbrock heads asembled aluminum heads for my cleveland and once i figured out how to take certain measurements i had no issues... the new rockers worked, kept stock pushrod length and so far have had no problems i have about 400 miles on it, but also i didn't go that far from stock.

hope this helps

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If you're sure that the valve springs that come on the assembled heads are the right ones you need for your particular cam... and that they will handle your proposed valve lift without getting into coil bind... or the retainers hitting the valve guides... and that the valves are quality pieces and not two-piece stock replacements...

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you're sure that the valve springs that come on the assembled heads are the right ones you need for your particular cam... and that they will handle your proposed valve lift without getting into coil bind... or the retainers hitting the valve guides... and that the valves are quality pieces and not two-piece stock replacements...
This is exactly what you need to consider. Once you know what you cam numbers are you can verify whether the "assembled" portions of the heads will work with what you are planning. If it does, I would go with assembled heads. I made this mistake with the GT40P's and ended up getting into having to purchase new valve springs and the tools to install them correctly. I ended up with Twisted Wedge heads as it was more cost effective after considering the purchase of tools, parts and machine work the GT40P's were going to need for my cam.

If I had it to do over again, I would have picked the cam for the power level I wanted to make with the basic information about the short block I was using and then select heads that would complement both. You could also select the heads and then follow with a cam that suits it, but I was more interested in idle quality so the cam needed to be selected first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts