Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my luck just went down hill, my rebuilder said my heads needed new valve guides and they where in really rough shape, im wondering if you guys may have a set of 69 Or 70 bare 351w heads no springs or valves just bare heads or if you guys have a set of complete heads for cheap.
Thanks
Aaron

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Aaron,

Needing guides is not unusual for heads of this age, what else was "really rough" about the heads? Any used heads that I put on an engine get all new guides regardless or their condition.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the area between the intake and exhast valve is really thin from wear and that area is prone to cracks. So its makin me worried.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a set, they have springs and valves still on them so they need to be removed but these are heavy as heck and not sure about shipping them.

These for sure will need to be reconditioned and dunked in solvent, steamed cleaned, for a bit, let me know- J

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will check on that, I will have to borrow a spring compressor and remove a valve, spring, and keeper to see. However, I am not sure of the wiggle/play tolerance that should or should not be there.

If there is any wiggle with the valve shank in the guide, is the guide toast? I don't have a new valve to check it with so,,,

Will get pics soon, the gasket surfaces are good but like I said, I would use a 3m disc on them and then dunk them, more soon, thx-

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
No matter what I'd put new guides and hardened seats in if you are going to the trouble anyway - you may want to consider aftermarket heads once you evaluate the machine costs though. You will end up with better performing and lighter ones to boot......Unless you are going for original for some reason. It doesn't take much to dump a ton of money into them, but this is where you make the most difference in performance and you want reliability. Going modern is probably money better spent IMHO

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here are the valves out of cyl #1, I brass wire wheeled them to get off the carbon and to expose any pitting, detonation, etc, the valves edges look as new.

Also, took my porting tools cross-buff and ran it in and out quickly of the valve seat inside the intake and exh ports, the leading edges of the valves seats are perfect, no wear.

The valve guides look and feel tight as a drum, when the valves are in with no springs and at tdc, there is zero wiggle, when they are bottomed out and opened, I feel a thou or so wiggle.

The guy at the shop said although the exterior of the heads look old, once you clean them and use a polish pad on the gasket surfaces,(which are fine as well), these will be super.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts