Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Almost merry Christmas.
Out of my league here but had a question about my ball stud. Have done all my front end parts ,tie rod ends bushings etc,so everything is tight there. Still have the motor out so figured I should address this now. I am getting slop at the ball stud where my pitman arm connects when i turn the wheel. I did research the forum a little but could not pinpoint this exact answer. I am no expert but would assume this is not a steeing box adjustment problem because the pitman arm moves responsively with the wheel. The arm moves but the stud is slow to respond and shift the center link. So assuming I am on the right track here, can i replace the ball stud and bushing without having to rebuild the whole unit? Or how does that work? Help would be appreciated. Thanx, Bish

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hi Bish,

On a power steering car (which I assume you have), the movement in the control valve is normal and is how the PS senses which way and when to apply assist. You can take the cap off the end and make sure the nut is properly torqued but if memory serves it tightens against a shoulder/stop so it should be okay. The control valve can be worn, but you won't be able to tell for sure until the engine is running and PS working. Hope this helps you.

Happy Holidays.

Bob

·
Registered
390 Posts
what he said.. And to answer your question the ball and cups can be replaced along with the bushing fairly easily, there is a kit available, the hardest part is separating the ball stud from the pitman arm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts