Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
nope...cant be.....new motor mounts. The car is great if i drive it like my grandfather. But when I open it up it vibrates...alot more then when I had my 351 in there. I though maybe it was my U-joints, b ut when I rev it inn neutral it vibrates pretty bad. Regradless, I'm still eating up these little imports and comaros, but I want to keep up with these BMW;s and such.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Hmmmm....

What year 302? What year 351? I'm not 100% sure, but didn't they change the balancing of the motor for some small blocks? Some have a 28oz counterweight, and others have a 50 oz. I'm not sure which got what. If you swapped components, like damper or flexplate you may have unknowingly messed up the balance. I'm sure others can give you more info... Sorry I couldn't help more :(

Milo

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 78 302, and the 351W is a 69. I didnt swap any parts except for putting the 351 heads on the 302, I adjusted the valves this morning and seemed to be running fine, But now when I drive it sounds like a clanking noise coming from the engine, only when I match the throttke to the speed I'm going. If I let go of the gas it stops and when I stomp on the gas it stops. As far as the balancers go the 68 is 3bolt and the 78 is 4 bolt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts