Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I turn the ignition switch on, no dash lights come on, and it work crank. I'll have to turn it a couple times and then it will work fine. I know its not the battery because I always have a battery tender on it, to keep the battery charged. And when I get in the car, the courtesy lights come on. Could this be an ignition switch starting to go bad?

Thanks, Nate

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Try and perform what Ford calls a "wiggle" test. Put the key in, and try to start it normally. If it doesn't start, while you are turning the key, see if it is loose in the switch, or if it wobble's around in the switch. Depending on how it reacts will help you determine what's going on. They aren't that hard to replace, ifit is bad. You only need the key, and a paper clip. Turn key to the left, to ACC, insert decent sized paper clip into the small hole, to release the detent, and pull the switch out with the key.

ALSO: Make sure your trans is fully engaged in PARK. If your shifter handle bushings are sloppy, they will affect your neutral safety, and also give a no start condition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts