Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '68 302 is having some starting problems. It sat for 20 years. The original coil died and I replaced it. The car ran perfectly for a month, then it was having these symptoms again. In the morning I'll go to start it and it will just crank and not fire. It's not flooding, it's getting fuel. Everything in the ignition system was replaced 4 years ago. But the car has only been used for 2 now. the key was not left on. I'm not sure where to look. Thank you!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Could be many things Nate - but lets start with the simple first - have you looked to see if the plugs are even getting fire? Pull one - ground the threaded part and have somebody turn it over to see if it jumps to the electrode. If not, youll have to start working your way back to the dizzy/points/coil.....is this an XR7?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll try that when it acts up. No not an xr7. It's a decor interior Dan Gurney Special.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
If it's intermittent, I would also ensure that you have good solid grounds - engine to body particularly - that factory one is not that good. Make sure all your other connections are clean/solid like coil, alternator, regulator. Also wiggle your keys around while it's running to see if your ignition switch is flakey....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts