Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
being that I have an old car I've turned into a big fan of that skinny pedal on the right... but when i go to speed up if i push it to hard there is a loud grinding sound... I just thet the RPM's drop again and it goes away...any ideas on what it is?

Erik

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Could be a U-joint....

Don

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Sounds to me like the engine is moving in its bay slightly. This could be due to a worn engine mount. What you're hearing could be a number of things. Check around the fan. Are there rub marks on the shroud? Are the belts squealing under duress? Check their tightness. Just some thoughts.

Edgewik24 said:
being that I have an old car I've turned into a big fan of that skinny pedal on the right... but when i go to speed up if i push it to hard there is a loud grinding sound... I just thet the RPM's drop again and it goes away...any ideas on what it is?

Erik

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Grinding noise?

OK, somebody has to be the wise guy here, so I'll suggest...

Spinning your wheels and gravel hitting the bottom of the car?

All meant in good fun... :p:

Milo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Grinding noise?

I"d like to be able to spin my tires but the grinding noise happens before i can get to that point.... I think the transmission is slipping... however i do appreciate your humor...

Cougrrcj said:
OK, somebody has to be the wise guy here, so I'll suggest...

Spinning your wheels and gravel hitting the bottom of the car?

All meant in good fun... :p:

Milo

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think i know excactly what the problem is,,,,,,,and it is,,,,you have a motor mount on your driver side that has come loose,,,,and when ever you punch it, it lifts your motor, and the fan blade hits your radiator hose,,,,,,,,, if you look at the edges mof your fan blade, I think you will find that at least a couple of them are bent at the edge from contact, at least that is what happened to me, in fact i have it in the shop right now, getting new mounts installed, alonmg with my tranny (c-4) getting rebuilt,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, it should be badass!,,,,goodluck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts