Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick my kids up from school today in the Fairlane (my daily driver), we went to a model store to check out the new models/hot wheels, etc. Bought a 67 Cougar Johnny Lightning, anyways, then we went to Toys-R-Us to check there toys. Got back in the car to get the wife from work and the starter went nuts. Hummmm, Im pi$$ed. Thank god the wife works in the same plaza as the toy store.
Went for coffee to calm down. Wife took the bus home with the kids, and I took the starter out, with the only tool I had in the car which was 1/2in. wrench. Walked 1/2 hour to the parts store to return the starter (it's only 2 months old), and they gave me a new one. Walked 1/2 hour back to the car and put the starter in with the 1/2 in. wrench, joy joy. Finally got the car going and Im home, plus it was raining, and only had a bottle jack, and had to fight around the headers, with the only tool I had. Im better now. The reason I didnt have my tools in the car was I had to rebuild the washing machine this morning and all my tools were downstairs, cuz the parts came in today, and had to replace the stove element. When it rains, it pours. Im going to bed.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah, the piece that contacts the flywheel in the starter, it broke right off, and busted the nose cone in the starter. I had NO warning at all.
And it's still raining.:(

·
Registered
519 Posts
dark7068 said:
... had to rebuild the washing machine...
You too huh? heheee
I must have rebuilt the dryer 3 or 4 times before I gave up and just bought a new one.

Glad you got your car running now I'm going to go put my travel tool kit next to the front door so I remember to put it back in the trunk. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the first thing I did when I got home, put my tool box in the trunk. Im going to buy one for the house, I never want to be without tools again.

Rick

·
Registered
314 Posts
You're in good company.....I had to do some emergency work a couple weeks ago with a set of vice grips(most versitile tool ever), one of my power steering hoses blew out. I had to take the belt off the pump so it wouldn't burn up. The best part was that it was pitch black out, and my flash light's batteries were dead. I went out the next morning, and bought one of those super cheap tool kits from Checker to keep in the trunk, and some fresh batteries.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm with you ClevelandCougar - I bought one those El Cheapo emergency tool kits from Walmart. Plastic molded case, nothing rattles around, fairly flat and compact. Beleive I paid less than $20 for it on sale. Not high quality tools, but better than nothing when I'm away from home.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can we compare bad days?? I know this isn't a competition, but perhaps you'll feel better about your bad day after you hear about mine.

Put in new leaf springs last month, very bloody knuckles in the process. On the test drive, 3rd gear went out of my C4 trans. After a 3 week rebuild on my benchtop, drove car in a cruise, turned into smoke machine after vacuum modulator began puking tranny fluid into the carburator via vacuum line. Installed new vacuum modulator, same day took car to a graduation open house, car sounded like it swallowed a valve just before I parked it. Removed valve cover, discovered broken rocker arm, jumped up and clicked my heels together as it wasn't a swallowed valve, reinstalled new rocker arm which I happened to have in my garage, set valve lash, and drove the bugger home. Went out to start yesterday, starter went "click". Something went click in my brain too, but I got over that, crawled under the car, tapped the #&%!* starter with a 1/2" ratchet handle, and the car started. I drove the car to work today, picked up my son, Jakin from school today, and am praying nothing else flys apart. Today. At least.

Ron.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I would of felt better today, but the part I got for my washer didnt fix it, and the store isnt doing anything to help. They want me to pay more money so they can find the problem, and then pay more money to fix it. Well, its a 30 yr.old washing machine, so NOT.
The starter makes weird noise when I start it now, like its to close or something, gotta take it out and figure out why. Maybe they gave me the wrong one, so gotta do that again. Plus...
header gasket leaks, collector gasket blew, MAJOR lifer tick now on the loaner motor Im using, control valve broke, list goes on and on. Oh well, least is a FORD,lol.

Rick

·
Registered
889 Posts
tools

Im one to ALWAYS budget a tool in with the job.After 20 years of marrage I have a few to take in the 69 along with some water.Dan

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dark,

Just a word to the wise from an old married guy; the washing machine is mothers' "equipment", or one of the tools she has to work with. Good tools always makes the job easier, whether it's wrenching on the car, building a garage, or washing the laundry.

I bought my wife a washer/dryer pair when we moved into our house a few years ago, not too hot rod, but they're Maytags, so they can be expected to last 15-20 years. Lets just say I got my money's worth out of that purchase with my latest Cougar sagas.

Ron.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
me too me too

i got the summons for my speeding ticket today... for going 20 mph over the limit, along with not having my proof of insurance along with having recieved a ticket about 10 months prior

well, it came out to $678. can you say OUCH! yet im not worried. .. and why not?? cuz i dont have the cash nor will i have the money for that at all within the alotted time. so im not even bothered by it. i cant pay, so well, it wont until i have the money. can you also say extension? he he he.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts