Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i think this might be a blame the PO again!!! :p: but my back up lights on my 68 XR7 do not work. The first thing i do is check the bulbs.... well curious... there are two different kinds of bulbs, so as i investigate closer... one of the bulbs has two solder lumps and the other one... i think oh well.... the reverse lights don't need two filaments!! so as i check the sockets they both have two solder lumps!! So i check my workshop manual and it looks like a single solder bulb and the bulb number it gives IS a single solder bulb??? My question is what is the right bulb and has the PO swapped out reverse light sockets..... on further inspection to the wires it looks like he may have done so... Can someone help???

Many Thanks

Stu - :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
If I recall correctly, the backup lights do have two contacts on them but only one filament in the bulb. I think the bulbs actually cross-referenced to a dome light bulb.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Hello
your reverse lights are for 196 bulbs the tailight bulbs call for 197s the reason why is because your car only uses the 1 wire(aka 2 lumps) is for the reverse lights the tailights uses 4 bumps(2 wires) cause of brake lights and when your headlights are turned on they stay lit. hope this helps out a bit
thanks
pat

1 - 3 of 3 Posts