Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my one and only Cougar story. Back in 1972 when I was a 17 year old kid I had a pretty bad 1965 Comet Cyclone. One night a had an electrical problem and I was late getting to a Hockey game (I was playing not watching) Anyway I called a good friend I worked with at the Service Station and asked him for a little help. The problem was his brother was getting married the next morning and he was the best man, but he said he'd come and take a look (must be a trait of Cougar owners..too nice for their own good) Well we couldn't get the Cyclone to go and he offered me the use of his 68 Cougar (or I think it was a 68) as long as I took care of it and got it back to him first thing the next morining. Well to make a long story short, about 1:00 A.M. after dropping off a friend I decided to see what that Cougar could do. I think it had a 289 and 3 speed. I only know that after popping the clutch I heard some bad noise and the Cougar wouldn't move. My friend and I pushed it a few blocks to the station and got it up on the lift. No big deal..just a broken U-Joint. Only problem was that it was SUNDAY morning and back then there were no Discount Auto stores around. We were really nervous and I thought about how I would look with a black eye. Well around 2:30 another friend pulled into the station. I told him the problem and believe it or not he had a solution. He would "borrow" his mom's car, also a 68 cougar, we could take the parts off we needed and then he'd tell her that it broke down. It worked! We had the Cougar back to my friends house first thing in the morning, he made the wedding and he didn't have a clue. We fixed the Mom's car Monday morning and everything worked out. Except there was one little problem, the friend I was with, and supposed to drive home, never called his house that night. We were visited by the parents and the cops around the same time, wondering what the hell was going on. But alls well that ends well. It was one of those magical nights that were full of trouble but somehow you never forget.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts