Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 months later and I finally get her out of the body shop. The body & paint is fantabulously flawless. Paint is like a mirror. Porsche Gaurds Red with a clear coat. Now comes all of the follow-up work. Trying to have it ready for Knotts in 4 weeeks but I doubt I'll have it ready in time. Let me know what y'all think.

Zoli

Attachments

·
11,000 Posts
Looks awesome. Take your time and do it right!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
zoli ,
looks great.Need any parts ? drop me a line i may have some odds and ends if your looking for any .
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
why did you change the color. I really liked the blue, but that red looks cool too.

rick

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion. This is my 69 ragtop. My 70 is still bright as heck in BLUE!!!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Look's good dude, still waiting to get mine back so I can get that yahoo feeling. Jon

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Four weeks and you don't know if you can have it back together? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Back in '80 or '81, the big Performance Ford Club of America show in Columbus had a reunion of Boss 429s. Terry had bought his in Fall of '79 as a blown-up ex drag car. It was purple metalflake, gold metalflake and white with blue, pink and gold 'freak spots', and the underside was bright orange. Yeeech! Needless to say, we had to strip it down to bare metal and start all over again.

We were thrashing to get Terry's done in time to make it to the show. The body color got painted the weekend before the show. We spent that next week putting the car back together from about the same status of your red one -- no interior, no fender or quarter extensions, no valences, no mirrors... Terry drove the car for the first time to take it for a front end alignment on Friday, then Saturday morning we drove down to Columbus. Heck, the paint was still not fully cured. It still smelled like a freshly painted car as we sat in the hot sun at the show that weekend.

Four weeks? You've got plenty of time!

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
zoli.
do it right , do a little at a time, it`ll look great. Hope it all goes well for ya w/ it. then the 70 is next correct?
thanks
pat

·
Registered
123 Posts
zogman: not to change the subject(nice paint BTW), but I'm curious what you did to your suspension on the eliminator clone to make it low and level? Thanks , Bob

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob,
The fronts are heavy duty springs which are lower 1". The rears are stock and are sagging a little bit which makes it look perfect but a full tank of gas and a passenger in the rear is too much and then the tires rub. I am ordering leaf springs for both convertibles in the next day or so. We will see how the back end sits after that. The front springs are available at Mustangs Plus. Take care.

Zoli

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you make it to knotts, give my greetings to Marc Bodrie and Lou Otte. Just tell "Luc from Belgium".

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
i would rather see you there next year or at the nats west if it happens this year take your time when i hurry I alwys seam to muck up the works in a bad way! dig the colour by the way.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Damn Zoli that paint looks amazing. I really like the color!
Good luck with it, oh and hey i have like 3 months to weld patches, primer, redo the top of my motor(intake, carb, waterpump, and timing chain) get the door jamb fixed, and get the car registerd and inspected...on a 0 dollar budget...lol

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you have alot of time to get the car ready for knotts. im working on a buddys Fairlane that will be together by the time Knotts come around. and yes, its about as stripped as your car is right now. no engine, tranny, interior, or electrical. take about a week and a half before its driveable again. just look for the mean ass yellow 66 Fairlane and you all can pick out all the flaws in my paint work lol. oh yeah, this is an older pics. its now half gray and ready for paint this Saturday. if im not happy with the results.. it shall never be spoken of again lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Zoli: just curious, are you going to order stock springs? Who do you plan to get them from? Thanks again, Bob

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Looks really good! That picture on the trailer makes the paint look wet as it should! Now the best part about building a car begins. It's a blast putting all the stuff back on for the last time. Good Luck meeting your deadline. I'm living proof knowing what that's like.

Mark

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bob,
I called ESPO today and looks ike they take Fridays off. I was at a friends Mustang shop today and he showed me a set of leafs tht he put on a 66 coupe. I think he said they were "Upper Eye" or somehting like that . When the leafs make their way up to the bushing, the spring wraps around the eylet bolt from the top, not from the bottom which is stock. he says it should lower the car about an inch. I will ask ESPo about that on Monday.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Your friend was referring to springs with the "spring-eyes reversed." It will drop the car right around an inch from wherever it was before depending on the age and strength of the original main leaf. I've actually done this by hand once in the past. It was an "old school" trick that my dad showed me while we did it on his '36 coupe street rod. What a workout!!

Mark

1 - 20 of 22 Posts