Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
There are at least three common varieties of 9" axle bearing retainer plates. There's a big bearing version and a small bearing version. The big bearing version comes in in a large bolt pattern style and a small bolt pattern style.
It appears that you have a small pattern retainer and a large pattern housing. (Unless it just needs to be turned 90 degrees as the previous poster suggested. But you'd have noticed that, right?)
Anyway, is that an original Cougar housing? I'd expect it to be the small bearing version. What's the axle/retainer from?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im thinking its a late 70's housing off a f150. It was missing an axle so I went and pulled one from a local yard. Guess maybe if I really wanted to I could have the bearing cut off and a new one put on and the right bracket, but since this thing wont fix my cougar Im just selling it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I figured you were heading down a long hard road on this one.....your still better off biting the bullet and getting your original repaired. Gotta be a good axle shop in the area you can get to do it....to many differences in lengths/mounting points/bearing sizes/etc. Not worth the headaches

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got quoted 650 low end just to have the chunk repaired. I only paid 1000 for the car. I've already dropped 300+ in transmission and well over 1000 more in other parts. I might just have to scrap the car.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Been awhile since I've had one quoted - but that sounds steep? You could find a good used one for $300 all day long....I'd keeep looking

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I agree, that's crazy high to replace a pinion bearing, all the more so if you pull it and the mechanic can do the work on his bench. That kind of money should get you a good limited-slip pumpkin ready to bolt in. Keep looking for a mechanic.
Otherwise, plain-jane, non-locker, non-nodular 9" 28-spline center sections can be readily bought around here for a hundred bucks or so. I doubt the market is drastically different in Tennessee. Check the auto part swap meets or run a wanted ad on Craigslist. Or if you don't want to fool with any of that, you can get a direct bolt-in 3.00:1 9" center section from WCCC for under $200.00. You should be able to pay for that by selling off all the truck axle parts you've accumulated.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
That's with the web discount - but still a good price if you can't find one local so you don't have to pay shipping.....shouldn't be to hard to come by one though. Time frame may be the fator here I guess....good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts