Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I went to a car show up in Lake Tahoe and at one booth they had a whole bunch of muscle car art. So I checked out I got 3 cougar pictures for $15 each (without a frame though :( ). The guy gave his card that had a link to his website so I thought I would pass along this information to you guys.
The art looks like redrawn ads from the late 60's early 70's but then again I was born 1979 so what do I know.

http://www.carshowcruising.com/cougars.htm

P.S. I'm new to this Cougar Cummunity and so far ITS AWESOME!! Everyone here seems so helpfull in answering questions. Also I've looked at the pics of your cars and they look nice (Logan I like your red 69 XR7 the best).

I scanned a portion of the picture it looks alot better in real life.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Now is it me or does the 69/70 in front have a 67/68 grille?

Besides that, I'm with you on the helpfullness of the guys here, I've been trying to come up with questions nobody can answer for a couple of months now, but everytime there was someone who knew...

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
69CaliCat , I have the same one you posted here and I like it alot. There is someone on e-bay selling these quite often too.

Gulf00, what your seeing is a 70 in front and you can plainly see the difference between it and the 69 behind it. mm

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re: Awesome Cougar Art

I was about to post and say;

"Thank You!"

·
Registered
428 Posts
modifiedmark said:
69CaliCat , I have the same one you posted here and I like it alot. There is someone on e-bay selling these quite often too.

Gulf00, what your seeing is a 70 in front and you can plainly see the difference between it and the 69 behind it. mm
Okay okay, you win. I thought the 69/70 were like the 67/68 (looking quite the same), another lesson learned I guess.

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Just been to the website, awesome, wish we had something like that here, someone buy me a picture and post it to me:D

Only problem is I don't see any 1972 cougars????

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those are beautiful pieces of art! But where are the 72' Mercury Cougars??? sniff'sniff'...Everybody always forgets about those 72 Cats...

Adam

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
But where are the 72' Mercury Cougars??? sniff'sniff'...
Ditto [again]

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
71-73 Cats neglected

Our 71-73 Cougars are always left out. It seems the Cougar collecting 'elite' keep us around just to make the numbers.

Need an example? Just look at the turnout for the Cougar Nats West. There were a grand total of three 71-73s out of the 150 or so cars entered. There have got to be more 71-73s out there. They're just underappreciated.

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine. That's why I had dropped out of the Cougar scene for more than a few years. Even the CCOA isn't immune from this snobbery of the earlier years being somehow 'better' than our 71-73s. I had kept all of my CCOA newsletters for the first five years I was a member. In that time they had only two articles on the third generation Cats. That's twenty issues of the CCOA magazine and only two articles on 'my' generation of cats. That's pretty pathetic.

Need another example? How many repro parts do you see for out 71-73s? Darn few! If it weren't for our beneath-the-skin commonality with the 71-73 Mustangs, there probably wouldn't be any! I mean, how many 71-73 Cougar-specific parts are out there? Even some of the parts they say are Cougar parts are really Mustang parts and they aren't the same!!! Don't believe me? look at the AutoKrafters catalog. The trunk floor drop-offs they are listing to fit the 71-73 Cougars is the exact part they list for the Mustangs -- and the Mustang is 8" shorter back there!

An example of how rare our third gen cats are is the fact that they made more Mach 1 Mustangs in 1973 than all Cougars combined. According to the books I have, there were approximately 55,000 Mach 1 Mustangs and just 53,000 Cougars of all body styles and trim levels (Std and XR-7) all put together!

Grrrrr!

The truth is that Mustang collectors also share this bias against the 71-73 Mustangs but to a lesser extent. They say that the cars became too big, bloated and luxurious. Hmmmm. Why is it then that the two fastest production Mustangs were the 71 Boss 351 followed by the 71 429CJ? (Please spare me the 69 428CJ road test writeups they keep throwing out there. Those were prepped and massaged cars, not regular production units.) Yes, the cars lost some of their handling. Yes the cars got bigger. Yes the cars got heavier. They were also designed from the outset to have the 429/460s under the hood. (The 71-73 Mustang/Cougar is the same under the hood as the 70-71 Torino! Same crossmembers, same fender aprons, same everything!) Hummmph! The base engine for a 73 Mustang was the 250cid straight six, and the 73 Mach 1s base engine was a 302-2V! Our 71-73 Cougars never came with anything smaller than a 351C-2V, with the 351C-4V (CJ) and (in 1971 only) the optional 429-4V CJ!

[/rant]

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cj, I hear ya and you spelled it out pretty plainly, but keep your head up as I think in the future you will see more parts ahead. Just look in the last year how many 71-73 Mustang parts have come on the seen. The Cougars will surely follow. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i dotn mind the 71-73 bodystyle at all. i think that the Verts are nice actually. they do have what i think is a much nicer interior than the early ones. however, because of the obious ummm popularity (?) of these cars, the only real close up exposure i have of these cars is when i scavenge them at the junkyards around here. they do look good. the thing that i dont like about the 71=-73 Cats is the rear end. in my opinoin it looks ill proportioned to the rest of the car. its not an insult, just a personal taste issue. as far as the Stangs go, i like the 71-73 ones. hell if you look at the really old posts here you can read about a 72 4 Spd Q code Mach1 that i almost had my hands on. yes i am partial to the 69 Bodystyle by self, but i do have an appretiation of all things automotive, and yes, i like different cars. that Mach 1 was a choice between that and a 65 Stang fastback 4 spd. sure the 65 would have been worth more, but its not as fun.

·
Registered
300 Posts
From MY perspective, being born in the 60's.. LATE 60's that is.. I just don't like cars from the 70's. It could be the coolest car on the block and if I knew it was from the 70's, I just wouldn't feel right about it. I don't know why. I have a 67 cougar and an 86 Mustang GT.

Hmm... now that I think of it... I've had 66 mustang, 60 BajaBug, 80's motorcycles, 2000 motorcycle, 85 Suburban, 83 honda, no, wait.. I take it back... I had a 1970 VW Bug and a 76 GMC Jimmy.

Ok, nevermind.. I take it all back... :D

:wave:
Robert

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I think there is a real shortage of 3rd gen cats . I've been lucky enough to own two 73s and I kick myself for letting them go... around here you just don't see any of them around.. It truely suprises me that there aren't more around.. i love that red 72? vert in the cougars for sale forum. Now as far as i'm concerned the cougar really went away with the 74 bodystyle although some would even argue that point. As for as Mustangs I seem to like most years except maybe the bodystyle right after the MustangII (early 80s ,sorry OC) My 77 mustangII was a great car with fast.hatchback,302 with 4 speed tranny... That car would just haul...... Anyway I drive what i drive because it's what I want to drive.....HUH??? all of this of course is MHO....

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I think its all the chrome on the 71-73 that puts people off, when we first saw our cougar [before we bought it] my first thought was g*d, look at all that chrome, in fact it put me off completely for about 2 weeks, but then it grew on me, we just about camped outside the auto sales place on the weekend before we bought her, just to make sure no-one else was interested. Now when I show photos of her the std answer is very encouraging, altho one guy did ask if she was a mustang - finally, here in the land of few USA cars - someone mistook my cougar for a mustang, great feeling.

the thing that i dont like about the 71=-73 Cats is the rear end.
Come'on take a look at this photo and tell me what is out of proportion, its almost her best feature.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The harsh reality is, most people think that 71-73 Mustangs and Cougars are ugly.

The Mustangs sell more, because they're Mustangs. But in general, most people seem to find them ugly. You don't see many at shows because most people don't restore them. They're big, and they're falling out of the normal "muscle car" formula, and the looks aren't exactly popular.

I know there are some guys here that love the 71-73 Cougar, and hell, I like the 71-73 Mustang, but you have to realize the general public thinks they're pretty ugly.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
in my opinoin the 71-73 ear looks saggy. even when its lifted it looks saggy and lifted at the same time. hard to explain. the front has a higher beltline and they take advantage of that. the Lincoln-esque front end isnt all that bad looking, but it became a really typical 70's look that was overused in the later 70s. the rear bumper and the taillights is the focal point in the rear and its all down at the bottom of the car. it just looks out of place. not dissing the car, just opinion here

·
Registered
21 Posts
"I know there are some guys here that love the 71-73 Cougar, and hell, I like the 71-73 Mustang, but you have to realize the general public thinks they're pretty ugly."

That's a pretty big assumption to make Jason for a guy w/ a 1969 Cougar Std. Hardtop in various stages of disrepair...hehehe. You can take a look at my 72' Convertible in the photo sections and tell me that it is ugly...lol...You cannot judge a Cougar strictly on what year it is buddy! It's all about what the owner does with the cat that makes the difference. I drive mine just about everyday and I get so many compliments on my ride my head is getting too big! Lets see your 69' hardtop...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
in my opinoin the 71-73 ear looks saggy
Once again, look at this photo and tell me what looks saggy?
71 -73 cougars have class, posssibly a bit too much chrome, but still got class.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You can say what you want about the 71-73 cougar, but I know camaro/firebird guys would kill for a notchback like that...

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hope thats a compliment?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts