Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 69 cougar xr-7. though i might have to leave sunny san diego and go to school in utah. and the winters kinda concern me a bit. so my question is does anyone have experience driving these cars in the snow or is it possible to do some custom work on the cat and make her AWD?
any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Welcome. Anything is possible but AWD would be quite a modification to pull off. Rent yourself a copy of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and see how well a 69 Cougar does in the snow. Remember, these cars were used as daily driver's in all sorts of weather when new with just snow tires and/or chains. Their competence in the snow will depend a lot on the driver.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
One of the Bond movies put explorer running gear under a Mustang so it should be possible with a Cougar. When I had a quick look once before, it looked like the front frame rails might get in the road of the driveshafts. Tunnel will need modifications to clear transfer case

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
One of the Bond movies put explorer running gear under a Mustang so it should be possible with a Cougar. When I had a quick look once before, it looked like the front frame rails might get in the road of the driveshafts. Tunnel will need modifications to clear transfer case
Yep. Everything will get in the way if you use the factory engine and such.
It'll be way cheaper to buy yourself a Subaru beater or an awd Fusion/Milan

However, it can be done.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I remember having narrow winter tires with very deep threads. I also always took off in 2nd.

4 wheel drive has been my choice for a few years. Plan to stay that way.

Jean

·
Registered
899 Posts
Well since I live here I can tell you what it's like lol. I don't take my cougar out in the snow, but I have driven several rear wheel drive cars including several 66 Mustangs in full snow storms. One of the mustangs had snow tires and weight in the trunk and the other didn't have snow tires but weight. The difference was very noticeable. Driving around in a rear wheel drive car in the winter here can be done. They do a pretty good job of keeping the roads clear. My question for you though is where are you heading to school, and do you plan to do any winter activities such as skiing? The reason I ask for which school is because some are located down in the valley where the snow doesn't get too bad verses others that are up on the side of the mountain. You can E-mail me too if you want more info. As for the swap the other guys have pretty well covered it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts