Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a lot of trouble avoiding damage to thin body parts when removing old torque box. There's some damage (ripped sheet metal) around the floor vent, and on the flat panel that covers the outer rocker. I drilled out the spot welds as well as I could, but some areas are just inaccessible without some sort of magic drill. The damage results from using a chisel to do the final separation. The torque box is 2 to 3 times thicker steel than most of the rest of the car.

I chopped the old TB into several pieces to allow better clearance for the drill, but even that wasn't enough.

I've read a dozen articles on the topic, but I can't seem to make it work as easy as (apparently) it's supposed to be. The damage can be patched, but I'd like to avoid it on the other side if possible.

Does anyone have any tricks to make this go easier? Or is this sort of damage inevitable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The damage can be decreased by slowly going around each spot weld that is cut with a grinder before you cut the piece with a chizel. I removed the roof recently on my chevy truck with zero damage to th surrounding metal. It just takes time. The best way to install the boxes is in piece. If they are welded togethere drill the spot welds out and place the bottom in first

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
X2 on what the Doc says!

·
Registered
160 Posts
How did you know I was an MD?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How did you know I was an MD?
I pay close attention and remember your posts about the radical 'Coug you have been constructing for so long!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Oh yeah. I actually have to back on that thing..........................

·
Registered
81 Posts
The damage can be decreased by slowly going around each spot weld that is cut with a grinder before you cut the piece with a chizel. I removed the roof recently on my chevy truck with zero damage to th surrounding metal. It just takes time. The best way to install the boxes is in piece. If they are welded togethere drill the spot welds out and place the bottom in first
Do the boxes for 71-73 Cougars come like that? in two pieces spot welded together? anyone know?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Do the boxes for 71-73 Cougars come like that? in two pieces spot welded together? anyone know?
From what I'm reading, there is not 71-73 specific convertible torque box, just the 65-70 Mustang/Cougar convertible boxes, MU says useable on 71-73 w/mods. Having said that, yes, the available parts come spot welded together.

Regards,

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts