Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
g'day all---

i'm new to the forums here, so please, be kind =)

i've tried searching a bunch on this topic, but i've not been able to find anything thus far, maybe some of you may be able to help shed a bit of light on the subject...

i recently acquired a '67 cougar from a friend (his dad, actually); nothing remarkable, but it's in pretty decent shape. it runs fine, it drives, needs some body and interior work, but overall it's a good car. that said, my only real complaint...

....it's an automatic. *twitch, twitch*

what all is involved in converting a '67 cougar auto to a manual? are there any articles anywhere that cover this in detail?

i'm going to be replacing the engine in it shortly -- it has a 289 in it now, which is really showing its age, and i saw a nice 357 (stroked 302) crate motor for not too much -- so i figure while the engine is out, that'll be a good time to replace the tranny. i know it can be done, i've seen a few articles on the intarweb about cars that have received just such a transplant, but none of them go into any technical detail. =\

any ideas, hints, etc, would be much appreciated. thanks a lot! =)

--dano

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Obviously you will need a manual trans, bellhousing and clutch pedal and linkage etc. That said the best way if thats what you really want is to find a manual trans car for a donor. The good thing is that all the stuff you need for the cougar is also the same as a mustang.

Maybe you intend on a t5? Check mustangs unlimited and CJ's pony parts as I seem to recall seeing some kits they have for that switch.

Just remember if going with a crate motor that in about 1980 Ford changed the external balance weights on the 302 from 28 oz to 50 oz so make sure you deal with that issue and also if thats the case you wont be able to use your 3 bolt balancer so pulley changes will be in order.

All in all it could get quite involved so be prepared to lay out some dough. By the way welcome to the board. mm

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I know a few people who have done this to there Cougars. I would like to do it also some day. There are a few options to look in to. The Mustang people have put together hydrolic and cable clutch setups. This could be easyer to put together then a compleet stock setup. Look at Mustang plus for some ideas. Link below. also as Mark said a 5 speed would make the car a better all around driver.

http://www.mustangsplus.com

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Welcome!
Why limit yourself to a 5 speed when you can use a T56 dual-overdrive six-speed?
I haven't done this yet either, but I want to. (The three-strike slushbox just ain't doing it)
In Mustangs&Fords last month or maybe the month before they did a T56 swap into a '65 or '66 Mustang... it didn't seem too bad (the referenced supplier was supposed to have a full-on kit for sale by now, but I haven't check it out).
If you can get a copy of that article, it might give you some pretty good ideas!
Enjoy the board, there's so much information, expertise, and experience here!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hi Dano, welcome to cougar world.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did this conversion on my '67. It all depends on the tranny you are going to use. In my case, I used a toploader from a torino. I had to use the adapter plate from mustangs unlimited to move the shifter mounting plate 4" rearward. It now fits in the stock hole in the floor with no cutting. All the linkage is available new from mustangs unlimited, which is where I got mine. You will have to get the clutch pedals from a donor car though. Don't forget to get the pedal return spring bracket from the donor car as well- it bolts on top of the pedal hanger, and is not on cars originally equipped with slushboxes.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
My father has bad knees and we have been looking into options for his 66 Mustang with toploader. Cable and hydraulic clutches are not an option for toploaders unless you buy the bell housing in the kit.
If you are going T5 then I would definitely go with the cable or hydraulic clutch assembly. Much smoother and a lot easier to find parts for.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm currently looking for information on the same topic. The only thing is, I would like to do an authentic conversion. I'm not doing a resto-mod, so the 5/6 speed, cable / hydro clutch won't work for me. I doubt I will have a donor car,I'd like to, but I'm not betting on it. I would think there has to be a resource out there that has documented this conversion using original parts? non?

Any information I could get or leads on where to look (since I can't seem to find good links on my own) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Rick
:1poke:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Dano, a different parts list would be drawn up based on what your looking to do. Do you want the car to be as if it came from the factory with a 4 speed, all period correct? Or are you interested in one of the 5 speed conversions. After you get this nailed down then a list of clutch linkage parts will be easier to arrive upon based on what works best for the transmission choice.
Tom

·
Registered
834 Posts
Period correct. I don't mind using parts that are two or three years newer really, but you know what I mean, no cable or hydraulic clutch. Standard, typical, mechanical clutch Z Bar and all, RUG case toploader...as close to 67 as I can get.

Rick

·
Registered
834 Posts
Does anyone have a resource for this type of conversion? No cable / hydraulic clutch, just straight 67 auto for standard swap (with no parts car to use as reference).

Thanks!
Rick

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most of the parts are available as reproduction from the major vendors. I went thru a similair swap on a '67 mustang. I bought a flywheel, bellhousing, clutch leakage and transmission from a parts vendor. You should be able to use 67 mustang parts also.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hey Green, Thanks. What I'm looking for is some sort of detailed instruction via web page or publication, that would give me an idea of what needs to be swapped. If I can't find anything like that, I suppose I could just decipher what needs to be changed via the Shop Manual, but it seems tedious really.

Rick

·
Registered
308 Posts
Welcome

Hi Dano,
Welcome.
I'm also in Connecticut on the SE shore.
I plan to drop a 1970 Ford WR toploader/ factory Hurst from my once 1970 XR7 into my 1969 Eliminator. Luckily I kept the entire 1970 drivetrain.

I did several conversions in the 1980's on Mustangs and Cougars, the latest being my 1981 Mustang III. Remember it was easier back then when these parts were readily available from bone yards.

Once you have the CORRECT parts, the swap is easy, and might I add worthwhile. As I always say you can't push start an Automatic , nor out brake a downshift combined with a heavy foot.

The Cougar is a fun car, and I remember taking a 1968 302 rebuilding it,
using 289 4V heads, Edelbrock Alum intake, mild cam and producing , adding a Borg Warner close ratio tranny, and ending up with a car that GM and Mopar owners respected once they went for a drive or challenge.
The best instance was at 80 mph along side a challenging Vette ....hit it hard and watched it fade away in the rear view mirror !

regards,
Joe W

·
Registered
669 Posts
I did this exact conversion in 1982 on my '68. Yes the same green one listed below!. I could take some pictures for you and make a list of parts. It was basically a bolt right in deal. No spacer plates, fabrication etc. Even used the original drive shaft. :jump3:

Bert
P.S. Do you also go by e-bay user handle 'hemmingwaytech'??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hi Bert,

Yes, pics would be great! you can email me at 67Cougar ( at ) hemmingway (dot) com. and yes, I do go by HemmingwayTech on eBay.

Thanks!
Rick

·
Registered
669 Posts
Rick, I'll see if I can get you some this weekend.

Bert

1 - 20 of 21 Posts