Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there 11 screws that hold the 4300 top in place?

How tight do you screw down the screws that go thru the gasket? They were all really loose upon removal.

I was swapping out the accelerator pump and gasket on my 4300 tonight. Hard to believe that little rubber cup is all it is. I am putting it all together and I only have 10 screws. I see 11 holes!! Now I could have dropped one, but I have a magnetic tray that I put all the screws in, and other pieces and nothing fell out.

I am doing this swap to help trouble shoot the strong gas smell under the hood and leak I am having right under the accelerator pump onto the top of the motor. There is a gummy trail present.

If this is the case and I need to get a screw, do you think WCCC stocks these?

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
DSC00094.jpg i can take pics of my 4300, im not sure where exactly you mean, maybe point me in the direction of which hole your questioning by the picture i uploaded

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great pic. There are 11 holes where there are 10 philips and 1 flat head screw. I am missing one phillips screw, and should be getting it from WCCC soon. Do you know how tight you screw the screws back in? When I removed them they were really loose. I imagine I don't want to crank them down but there is a gasket between the top and body and the screws need to be tight enough where it makes a seal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
174 Posts
hard to say on how tight, mine weren't that tight, but not loose either. I'd say from when they first bottom out, maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn snugger as , definitely while alternating the pattern to "iron" out,
maybe somebody has a torque spec or better answer?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had this saved in my favorites, the part about the air horn being warped is real typical, i would think lapping would be a better solution as it should be flat to begin with,but what do i know, hope this helps

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/autolite-motorcraft-4300-carb-149358.html
That was some interesting stuff there. They say to:
Any Autolite/Motorcraft jet fits the carb, if your resourceful you can get a complete set of jets just ripping open two barrels in the junkyard and taking the jets. I have a complete set from #47-63 from old two barrels.
If you polish the accelerator pump bore you will speed up the injection rate, don't remove metal just polish.
To solve the leaking top gasket problem take a brand new gasket and soak it in warm water overnight, install the next day and torque slightly, let sit overnight and the next day torque to full spec-DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE FRONT SCREWS. This was the only method I found that guaranteed a seal.
Tweak the accel pump linkage to get a little more pump stroke, consider it an adjustable volume pump.
To adjust the secondary plate opening speed polish the piston bore that controls it, be careful go slowly and don't go crazy doing it. Also fuel level influences this adjustment...higher fuel level=slower opening

I am thinking about doing the gasket soak. I don't think it will hurt.
Is there an exact spec to torque these screws? Do you go in a circle or jump across like lugs on a tire? I just want to get it together so it doesn't leak the first time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts