Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '68 Cougar with a 302 and a Autolite 2100 2bbl carb. It seems to be running way too rich. It was recently rebuilt. What happens exactly is: It idles rough, but when you normally drive it's fine. When you turn it off and try to start it, the carb floods and you have to hold the gas to the floor and crank it, and it takes it a few seconds to finally fire. Then when you look at the carb after turning it off white smoke comes out which I have been told is unburned gas. Basically I need help finding out how to adjust this so it will just fire right up and run smooth. I already attempted adjusting the screw on the driver's side of the carb (which is the only screw I could see) and it is pretty much unresponsive. Not sure where to turn next. Thanks for taking your time to read this!

Nate

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
There are two idle mixture screws at the base of the carb. Turn both of these all the way in until you feel them bottom out. The turn each screw out one and a half turns. This should get you very close to the proper setting.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nate, have you checked your float level since the rebuild?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd say you need to go through it again -I think Hoss hit the likely culprit. Either they got hung up or are not adjusted correctly. The 2100/4100 series carbs are not the easiest to rebuild the first time through...or 10th! ;>) If you google 2100 rebuild you will find some very good resources....Mustang Monthly had a good article last year too....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dry setting during a rebuild and real world wet setting on the car can give very different level.... I found this out.:uhoh:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Just went through this on my Dodge. The Holley was a freshly rebuilt carb which ran fine for a month. Then it acted up in the sense that the car would die the moment it came off fast idle. Then it would not start. Had to let it sit several hours before it would go through the same cycle. Noticed a wet base gasket. Ran the car with the air cleaner off and noticed white smoke out the top after she died. Quickly looked inside and I saw a waterfall of gas pouring down the throat.

Needless to say the carb came off and I double checked the float level which seemed ok. Nonetheless, I replaced the needle in case of damage, reset the float and installed. Problem solved beautifully.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts