Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After failing to be able to start my '69 351W 2V I was looking at my carb (Autolite 2100) and it is leaking gas from the accelerating pump would it be the diaphragm? It was pooling up on the intake manifold. Also, at some point in time someone remove the anti-stall dashpot; what is it and is it ok not to have it? If that is not enough there is a broken spring on the throttle shaft/ level assembly. Could someone post a picture showing the drivers' side of that carb, the shop manuals don't show the spring. Sounds like time to switch over to the Holley, need to get it running first. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just rebuilt the 2100 on my brother's 71 Comet the other night. It had the same problem. I think your leak is coming from the gasket on the pump. The anti stall dashpot is just a rubber plug in the float housing. If you buy a rebuild kit from an auto parts store (should run you about $12) it will only take about 45 minutes to rebuild that carb...maybe a little more depending on how dirty it is. That carb is one of the most simplistic pieces of engineering out there. Of course a four barrel is cool for extra power...:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Zhat, I think he is talking about the dashpot that sits in front of the throttle lever. If so its not useally a big deal if its not there as long as the idle isnt set too low. mm

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for correcting me...was thinking about something different.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
i agree with these guys that the rebuild of the autolites is fairly simple because they are simple carburators. "Mustangs and Fords" in articles in the last several months have said that the rebuilt 2100 and the 4300, 2 and 4 barrel are just as good as the new eldebrocks and holleys. the most recent issue devoted itself to carb. information.

and it's probably better to rebuild it yourself. i picked up a thread where a bunch of folks were talking about the sorry job that PonyCarbs had done with their rebuilds. Carbs would work right, wrong needles installed, missing parts, etc. these guys, some of them, were very unhappy with the price they were charged $200 plus shipping and the poor quality. just do a lycos search for pony carbs and you'll find the discussion.

i also note that Autokrafters rebuilds carbs, don't know where they send them if the rebuild task bothers you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to do a rebuild, its the cheapest option for me at this point (2 young sons). Also, regarding the dashpot what I have found out is the 302 version 2100 had one and the 351W didn't, see the attached pic.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts