Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My linkage is a little off after putting the new bushings and nutral starter switch in.Now I have to forceit in to park.I took off the cotter pin washer ect.the head took a 9/16 wrench could budge it.Iwould really hate to snap this off,this little nut looks like it will be hard to find.I was thinking of grabing the trusty VICE GRIPS and forcing it any other sudgestions??Or put it on the must have list for Columbus.Might as well get two of them. Dan:angryfi:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hmmmnn. Sound like something is a little off. Is the linkage properly adjusted? Try that first.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If its rusted and wont budge, I would get the torch out and heat that nut up or you will snap it off. mm

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adjustmet

Its adjusted all the way back. Im about a 1/4 inch off just enough to throw the sift lever off .As it is now I have to Either force it as far it will go into park or play with it in nutral to start it.I thik at one time some one put a performance shifter on this.That would help explain the disconnected electric fuel pump traction bars,rear ciol springs with air bags,and air shocks.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Dan refresh our memory, what trans do you have? Look at your shifter rod, has it been cut and shortened? Mine had been. If its a FMX go back and look at the post I posted under FMX trans about the shift lever on the trans.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
linkage

Its a C-6 there is about a inch I can move to adjust it but It just wont move

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What do you mean it won't move? I assume your trying to move the pin in the slot on the rod and you cant loosen the nut on it to move it right? Like I said earlier you may have to heat it if its rusted tight!!!! Explain it in a little more detail !! mm

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nothings easy

you hadit right.I'm going to just take the whole rod out.That would be a heck of alot easier then I could just toss it across the yard.Its really hard to get to its on the back side and the headers and mufflers are in the way.If I have to get another one I'll USE A COAT HANGER!!! I forgot they'er made of plastic now. Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts