Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
One of my friends just bought a 64 Ford pickup (F-100?) and we were trying to figure out what motor is has. Maybe someone can help us out. I have not seen anything like this one. Here is the description:

V8, 2v intake and carb, distributor is at rear of intake manifold set at an angle. Water neck goes straight down into intake manifold. Oil filler tube goes right near the water neck in the intake manifold (empting into middle of the lifter galley)

And here's the kicker : iron exhaust manifolds, with the driver side outlet flowing twards the front of the motor and connected to the pass. side exhaust manifold by a U shaped pipe. This pipe is at level with the top of the heads. The exhaust then exits out the pass. side exhaust manifold to the rear via a single pipe..

Any ideas?

Edit: oh, and the valve covers are secured by only 2 bolts a side, right in the top centers of the covers.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sounds like a Y block. I'm trying to remember when the last year they were made. Y blocks were made in sizes, 2 thirty something(a 235 maybe) 272, 292 and 312. I'm thinking the 312 was mostly a Mercury and Thunderbird motor. They were Fords replacment for the good ole flathead V8. My dad has one in a 54 truck right now. I can find out more about it from him, as there from his era not mine. I remember him telling though how they were pretty good except they had trouble oiling the rocker shafts. mm

I just seen your edit about the vale covers, DEFINATLY a Y block, probably a 292.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Y block. sell it to an old T bird owner and drop in a stroked 390.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats the deal with a Y block? Is is a P.o.s. or what? I havent seen parts for this motor.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
not a POS, just hmmm.... i wouldnt build one unless i was doing a resto, or some kind of nostalgia theme with a car. even then if i was going nostalgia, id go FE of some kind.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No there not a POS. There just old. I talked to my dad this morning and he reafirmed that the first year for them was 54, but we could not remember what the last year was. I was thinking it was before 64 but I do not remember. If they did go to 64 that means they were produced for 10 years and that means no POS.

They are not what comes to mind when thinking of a performance motor but the 312 did get dual 4BBLs in the late 50's little Thunderbirds.

You can still get rebuild parts for them if needed if trying to stay original but otherwise I would go with something more modern. A 64 F series will easily fit anything you want in it. mm

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
The old Y block.

I'm sure it's a 292. That was the V8 for the light trucks at that time. I think that was the last year for the Y block in that. My folks bought a brand new 66 F250. We looked at the 65s and even rented one with a camper on it for a vacation. Both had 352s in them. As far as I can tell for passenger cars the Y block was replaced by the 260and 289 for63 model year. I have some old "Motors Manual" and the last year a Y block is listed is for 62. This does not mean that what I have stated is fact, just the best info I can find. I do not have any manauls for light trucks yet but I'm always looking for deals on books and lit. Neal.

P.S. in 1957 the 312 could be factory optioned with a Paxton supercharger. You may head some one refer to a T-bird as a "F" bird. That means its a blowen 312.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts