Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm venting. I received my ATSCO rebuilt power steering cylinder from Autozone. In the box, was the obligatory piece of paper bragging about ATSCO's quality assurance (I even read it). So, I remove my old cylinder, attach the hoses to the new one, fit the bushing on, and attach the one end. Slide the stud into the center link, and attempt to attach the castellated nut. Nothing doing. The end was severly abused during the previous removal. So, warning!! ATSCO apparently doesn't care about restoring the stud. And, I have to note here that I managed to remove my old one without damaging the stud, so it is possible.

I ran down to the hardware store and purchased a 9/16" - 18 die to restore the threads. Couldn't get the die to start. Ground the end of the stud down as far as I dared (leaving enough material to cover the cotter pin hole). Still couldn't get the die to start. More fooling around, and I get the die to start, but the stud starts spinning. Now I'm pissed. I've considered grinding the stud down more, but if I do the cotter pin won't be an option. And, there likely won't be enough stud left to use a lock nut. Based on my experience with Flaming River, it doesn't pay to try to make a questionable part work. Another day wasted. Autozone, it's coming back to you....

Steve C.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I hope I'm wrong but dont be surprised if they squawk when you try to return it after you ground down the end of it. Should have took it back right away. mm

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, of course, but I sure hope you're wrong about them complaining. I might say it was already like that, if they do, but they may not believe. The point I'll make is that stud should have been replaced, it was not usable in it's condition. I'll post whatever happens. After Flaming River, I really don't know what to expect.

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I feel your pain.

Might be worth to check out a mustang 2 rack and pinion conversion. :)

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I guess if the counter guy gives you any trouble just ask for the manager and explain it to him. They will probably go ahead and replace it, just might squawk a little. mm

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As it turns out, I didn't buy it across the counter. I purchased it online, since my local store didn't have one in stock. So, I'll have to deal with the Autozone customer service department about this, but I can probably get the core refund through the store.

Steve C.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That happenens alot,when I go to places like that I usually have my old peice in hand.Then I match it up before they get my core.I ordered a new power steering gear for my 95 -250.They list it for $170.00,get this they will give me $185.00 for my core.There must be a big demand on these gear boxes.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I left two messages on the Autozone customer service line (yesterday and today). They are supposed to return the call within one business day, but I have yet to be contacted.

So, I took the PS cylinder down to a semi-local Autozone store and explained the situation to them. They reordered the part, and said it should take only one day (two at the outside) to get a replacement. I took this opportunity to turn in my core, which I'd have to eventually. And, I put a 9/16" - 18 nut in my pickup, so when I go to pick up the replacement, I'll try it for fit before it even leaves the store. I hope this is the end of it. Nothing ever really comes easy in a restoration, does it?

BTW, I like the Mustang II front end, and the rack and pinion configuration even more. I don't have the space, or the equipment to tackle this sort of job in my current shop (2 car garage). Not to mention the fact I don't trust my rusty welding skills. Modified is in the middle of one right now, so I hope he posts his experience when it's overwith. F&M has had two recent write-ups (one in a Mustang, one in a Comet) on Mustang II installations. I also liked the independent rear suspension article on the '70 Mustang convertible. That would also be a great project/undertaking.

Steve C.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I eventually plan on putting a mustang2 in my car, Im not a big fan of the old suspension/steering.

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Its funny you mention this, I just talked to the money manager at my house and I'm ordering the rest of the pieces I need for the switch tomorrow. I got a set of upper and lower control arms from a guy on e-bay but there evidently lost in the US mail!!

He said he will take care of it for me and he has another set he will send me if these dont turn up! How in the world can they get lost only going from OH to IN??

Anyway I'm going to fix the mess some previous owner made in trying to put floorpans in the car. Evidently some people are not suited to this kind of work! LOL

After I get that mess fixed and I get all the front end parts together I will do the front suspension. Thing is since my house is up for sale and starting to get some people interested in it I dont want to get it unmovable for any long period of time.

I will be taking pictures as I go and may be able to be persuaded to maybe do a sort of do it yourself review if enough people were interested in it. Even though I maynot be too good at doing a review.

I'm glad that Autozone is taking care of the return without any hassels. I figured that they would. Hey you can get a bad part form anyone but how they correct it is the key. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Mark, a review sounds great if you can and feel like doing it. Same suspension as our Cougars so it will be very helpful to everyone here contemplating the idea. I would personally like to read it :)

Rick

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Modified,

I would definitely like to see a review if you're up for it. I just invested over $1200 in a coventional rebuild of my front suspension and steering, so I'm not planning on a Mustang II conversion for this car anytime soon. But, I can dream, and there's always the next project.

Steve C.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bit the bullet and forked over the money for a Global West upper and lower arms, Koni shocks and a Total Performance power rack and pinion steering. Stock stabilizer bar, new stock rear springs. The result is FANTASTIC!!! The steering and handling approches any late model car. It was worth every penny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts