Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Music is a big thing for me, and frankly, I am not a fan of the radio. Especially SoCal radio. That being said, I have a stereo that I want to install in the Cougar. Upon removing the screws on the upper portion of the trim, i noticed that the trim was all one piece, all the way down to where it meets the top of the ash tray/cig lighter. Any way around this? If I could find a nice center console for a relatively low price that would look good in this thing, I would just wire the stereo up in there. Besides, I miss having an armrest. Any of you guys have stereos wired up in your rides? Relatively easy and straightforward to install? Any info/help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My stereo fit in perfectly, and with the dash in it fits VERY firm with NO screws or clips holding it in! I can grip it and pull, and half the dash would rip out before that puppy came out. It's very easy if you just play with it. As for the cover plate being one peice, thats nothing a saw can't fix :D Take a look at my interior shot in the photo gallery, its got a picture of my stereo in the dash. Works great, I have the amp in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was going to install an am-fm from a early 70's lincoln but decided to go with a casette palyer, the one I bought has a cd input in the front so I just plug a portable cd player in and I got tunes!!!
John
wvcat

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you dont care about your dash, screw it and hack the mofo.
Personally, I would go with the center console idea.
I am in to a good stereo too, but my cat is not a daily driver so I wont bother.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to do anything that isn't reversable so I don't want to just start sawing my dash trim and whatnot. Are there any good center cosoles available for these things? Like, would a '69 Mustang center fit in here?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Remove the original suround, radio and mount and stick it in a box. Buy a new repro surround or get a second hand one (sixty9coug might have one) and cut it to suit new CD player. Make up a new mount and away you go.

Consoles are about $250 for a good one or make one up out of MDH and have it covered. Get a console lid from any suitable late model donor in junk yard

My 69 is getting the dash panels flow coated in brushed aluminium when I get it back from the painters in a few weeks. All the original bits are in a box in the garage.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I plan on takeing the face plate were the a/c would be lokated and try and make it so it flips up, or down and just hide the cd player in there. Like a fake front and have the old am be in and just nonfunctional.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've got a '67 without console, mine just has a bezel below the dash. I found another bezel on Ebay that had been trimmed a little in one of the knob holes... I think I paid like $20 shipped. I cut that one to fit my cd player and still have the original with the am radio in the garage.

Don't know how you console boys werkit.. hehe. of course, with my bench seat, I can't find ANYplace to set a soda.. hehe.

Robert

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I have wanted buckets with a nice center console for a long time and now I finally have a car with bucket seats, but no center console!:eek: Anyway, I guess I will try to hit up eBay or maybe I can head over to the junkyard in El Cajon...I'm bound to find something .

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yeah, my '66 mustang was bucket seats with the console. I like the bench seat in my cougar... hardly anyone else has them, so it's cool...

Robert

·
Registered
70 Posts
Personally, I say just leave the original radio where it is. Instead, hook up another deck under the front seat, maybe even to another seperate power source. Get it to hook up to an amp or CD changer in the trunk, maybe a sub... and you're left with the best of sound AND a stock appearence. Best of both worlds :D !

Sly

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess that could probably work, assuming it was remote controlled and maybe I could stick an infrared sensor on the dash that could relay to the deck under the seat....hmmm... Thanks for a good idea gamebrain:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do I sense sarcasm? lol

:rolleyes:

It's not the ultimate in solutions, especially for a daily driver... but it does the trick. As long as the receiver is not totally under the seat, accessibility needs to remain.

Sly

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There actually was no sarcasm there, believe it or not :p I am a daily driver, but I don't see why that wouldn't work...If I can't find a nice console, then your idea is probably next on my list.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Can't you use the glove box, just a thought, don't know what size it is:)

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Alex,
You might look at a console from a 71/73 Cougar/Mustang. The box in them is deeper and will work better to hide the sterio. I had one in my 70 Std. for many years(not to hide a sterio) I know of a 69 convert with one in it and they look good in them. And they sell for less than the 69 consoles do. Neal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
72Cat,

The glove box looks to be too small, as that was my first thought too. :(

Badcatt,

Any idea where I may be able to find one online for a good price? I am kind of hooked on this idea of putting the stereo in the console. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well, it seems you and I have similiar goals when it comes to stereos. I want a stock look while still listening to my cds. Thats why I'm about to purchase Secret Audio, by Custom Auto Sound. It is very slim and fits under one of the seats, with only a small viewing panel that would need to be mounted somewhere. A remote can operate it from up to 40 feet away, I believe. A CD changer connects to it and is mounted in the trunk. It supports 4 speakers at 25 watts per channel, which is really plenty of power. Sorry to sound like a commercial, but I have been looking in to the product for a while. The only drawback is the price, around 500 dollars. A budget alternatinve (and what serves me now) is, believe it or not, a boombox in the backseat. It has large speakers, radio, dual cassette, and a cd player, all of which are remote controlled. It is buckeled in, and does not move around while driving. It may be crude, but it works great, and only cost around a hundred dollars. Be sure to post what you choose to do.

Here's the address:
www.customautosound.com

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds very intriguing! Thanks for the link, I will be sure to check that out!! :D :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts