Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1967 cougar that has a 302 with 289 heads and a t5 transmission. A few months ago my little sister drove it to school and realized it was running rough. when i got it home i drove it around and it went out on me and i had antifreeze leaking through the passenger exhaust pipe, blowing white smoke like crazy. i replaced the intake, and intake gasket and got that problem solved. Now i thought i was ready to start it up again... now it runs extremely rough, with a bad hesitation, i went through and checked and double checked the timing, even replaced the distributor... now this sounds a little crazy, but when you put your hand at the passenger side exaust pipe the exaust coming out is extremely hot, the drivers side exhaust is barely luke warm... any suggestions???
Thanks Joel

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Maybe didn't get a good seal on the intake. Put a vacuum gauge on it and see what readings you get. If it is a stock, or close to stock cam, you should be getting a smooth reading between 15 and 20 inches.

Also, do what Andy says.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i put the vacuum gauge on it, and on idle the needle sweeps wildly, but i have checked everywhere and cant find where a leak would be... i was going to do the compression check tomorrow

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If it is sweeping wildly then it is likely a vacuum leak. Use some carb cleaner or ether and spray around the intake and carb base to see if you have any RPM fluctuations. You could also be looking at a valve issue. I don't think compression would cause the vacuum gauge to read like that, correct me if I am wrong, unless maybe a couple of cylinders are dead all together.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Take a deep breath, THINK it out, ASK questions, take ONE step at a time so you know what the problem is/was, YOU will solve the issue I'm sure.

Anyone working on an older car/engine has had confusing issues, you AREN'T the first.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ 1970fastcat, i wondered about the valve springs... could it be that? i tried spraying carb cleaner around the intake and didnt see anything indicating a problem there.... valve springs? maybe?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Quick check on vacuum is to put your hand over the choke horn and try to choke the engine out while running.
If it can idle with your hand on the horn, completely blocking air, you gots a vacuum leak. To do it on a 4v carb is also fairly straightforward.

Unplug all your vacuum crap before you do this and plug the fittings though. Just to isolate things like the brake booster, if you have one, and the distributor. ISOLATE the engine's vacuum tract (valve to choke horn) as much as possible.

Your gauge could be wildly fluctuating for no good reason, or a very good reason.

Stop thinking about valves and pingle valves and flux capacitors. Gather evidence and let that lead you to the fix. Anything else is just chasing your tail looking for an easy solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts